86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1988 4runner Heater Core removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 4runner Heater Core removal

I have the 88 FSM, and the 85 FSM and I can't find where the Dash removal process is. in the 93 FSM it is in the BODY section and Perfect for what I'm doing. However, it's the wrong dash!! Does anyone have good reference for my dash/heater core removal. w/AC (3.0)
Old 03-24-2012, 11:48 AM

Well, I got the stupid thing out finally...leak at the copper pipe where it attaches to the core itself. Not looking forward to reassembly
Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 PM

Does anyone Have any good suggestions on replacement? Toyota wants 500 for new one. Rockauto has a range from 31 to 125.00 (Vista-pro) Anyone have helpful input?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:55 AM

So after I replaced the heater core, I'm getting coolant smell in the cab when the heat is on. My dad and I pressure tested the core itself to test for leaks and we had none. The only time I get the smell is with heat though. So I'm very confused on what's going on. Has anyone had similar problems? The core is brand new :/ The hoses are new. The expensive clips that connect the metal tubes are new. Now that it's summer it's not a HUGE deal, but well it needs to be fixed. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Sounds like its leaking at one or both of the pipe fittings. I used water pump rtv when I assembled mine. The clips really didn't fit well. I also started the truck up and made sure the connection was solid before the dash and everything else went back on.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There might be a coolant residue in the housing or some might have spilled on the core when you were installing it.Just keep a eye on the coolant level ,hopefully it will burn off.
The following users liked this post:
Hawk_man24 (08-01-2023)
Old 07-04-2012, 08:53 AM

oops, when i said we pressure tested the core itself.. I meant.. at the fire wall.. engine side.. so it would seem it was sealed at the pipe fittings
Old 07-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Yeah then it does sound like residue. I cleaned mine out pretty good with a hose and let it dry out. The old foam sure does a good job of absorbing the coolant.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ive replaced the heater core in two 86 4Runners, its very easy to do and not as hard as it looks. Its more time consuming than anything else. I can do the whole thing from start to finish in four hours.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by myyota
Ive replaced the heater core in two 86 4Runners, its very easy to do and not as hard as it looks. Its more time consuming than anything else. I can do the whole thing from start to finish in four hours.
Yeah, the process is time consuming according to what I heard and read. Now, I am getting ready to get mine replaced, I plugged it with some kind of devil fluid I used when head gasket was leaking. My truck is 88 4Runner and has AC, any ideas if it would be more complicated to replace the core or the process would not interfere with the ac lines...? Please any suggestions will help. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 12:08 PM

Replacing the heater core...88 4Runner

Originally Posted by jdamore
I have the 88 FSM, and the 85 FSM and I can't find where the Dash removal process is. in the 93 FSM it is in the BODY section and Perfect for what I'm doing. However, it's the wrong dash!! Does anyone have good reference for my dash/heater core removal. w/AC (3.0)
Did you ever find sketches or process for dash removal...Yeah, the process is time consuming according to what I heard and read. Now, I am getting ready to get mine replaced, I plugged it with some kind of devil fluid I used when head gasket was leaking. My truck is 88 4Runner 4 cylinder and has AC, any ideas if it would be more complicated to replace the core or the process would not interfere with the ac lines...? Please any suggestions will help. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The first four post on this https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...4-88-a-278925/ show how to get the dash out. The rest of the thread eventually shows how to put it together. On my 88 Runner build below, on the first page shows some other steps to help and where to find it.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:06 AM

Very detailed,thank you!

Originally Posted by Terrys87
The first four post on this https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...4-88-a-278925/ show how to get the dash out. The rest of the thread eventually shows how to put it together. On my 88 Runner build below, on the first page shows some other steps to help and where to find it.
Hello Terry,thank you so much for your reply, is very helpful what you sent. You know, I have a hard time finding threads for some specific issues like this one to replace the heater core. I am sure that other people have had same issue and posted something while getting issue fixed or already fixed, like you did. This is very helpful. Even if it is cold out there, I may start taking dash apart in steps tomorrow, until I get to the core. The new one is on its way, will be delivered by Friday. It is an aftermarket, don't have hundreds of $ to get it from dealer. Hopefully it will be a direct fit. I ordered it with the pipes already connected, not sure if it would be an issue using factory pipes with aftermarket heater core. Well, I might take some pictures in the process to have it as reference in the future the same way I did when I was replacing the head and dressing up the engine. Nice work you've done in your truck! When I learn how to post pictures here, I might post some of the restoring work I've done in my truck and another oneI bought to resell. Nice hobby we have! Take care buddy!
Vasquez
Old 01-24-2015, 04:57 AM

heater core

I have found in the past that the usual culprit is the o-ring that seals the pipe to the heater core.This is not your ordinary o-ring and i don't think its available through the dealer.I found a o-ring assotment kit from advance auto that seemed to have the proper size o-rings,it was actually designed for ac systems but seems to work well.Also i have never seen an actual heater core itself leak,usually its that pipe connection,usually the heater cores become plugged up .Make sure you clean out the antifreeze residue in the heater box and alot of times the foam that seals off the flaps becomes saturated with antifreeze.If i remember i will try to give a part number on that o-ring kit from advance auto.Good luck man.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:35 AM

heater core to pipe o-rings

These are the o-rings i used for the heater core to pipe connection.Part#765-3136 from Advance Auto.It is an A/CPRO auto air conditioning 24 piece o-ring kit.I believe the size i used was 15mmx1.8mm.They worked on my 86 turbo truck and several others,might work on yours.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by mainetoy
these are the o-rings i used for the heater core to pipe connection.part#765-3136 from advance auto.it is an a/cpro auto air conditioning 24 piece o-ring kit.i believe the size i used was 15mmx1.8mm.they worked on my 86 turbo truck and several others,might work on yours.
thanks a lot for the tip. I just got the heater core out of the truck. Rings seem to be good, but since i have them out, it would be a great idea to install new ones. Well, i had the new core available, but when it was time to install it, it was the wrong one, bigger with short pipes. So, i made my complaint to the part store in ebay to return it. then since i thought mine was plugged, i used air pressure to clear it and fortunately it worked. Junk came out of it. The i put hot water in it and blew it out. I repeated this a couple of times until it was completly clear. After that i plugged a water hose with hot water and it ran nicely in and out. My issue now is that i am a little relagtan to install it back with the same pipes since when i was removing the hoses stocked on them i bent the tips a little, so i'm afraid that it might leak after installation. Any ideas or suggestions or where i can get the new pipes in order to replace the old ones. Thanks guys for your suppert,

Last edited by Chaviator; 01-26-2015 at 06:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Hawk_man24 (08-01-2023)