Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1987 pickup cutting out on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 pickup cutting out on acceleration

Okay guys so I got a 4x4 and I've been having this problem since purchased it! When I get on the acceleration its hesitant then builds up the rpms but only if u push it fast if u do it slowly it won't do it as bad and when u hold it at 2000 rpms it starts surging up and down and if I floor it when driving it works sometimes cutting in and out qnd has no power to go over 60 but when I unplug the tps no surging okay so I've taken it to a local shop and paid fifty bucks to tell me its vacuum leak and maf so I go get vacuum gauge and vaccum is correct reading no bounce and then I get two maf and try them doesn't change a thing so I took to toyota of richardson tx and there tech can't even diagnose the problem things I've done are fuel filter drop tank nice and clean no crud replaced tps sensor replaced plugs wires distributor cap and rotor its still doing it once my friends dad pushed the tps plug hard against the tps and he drove it no problems right when I left it started acting up again I've wiggled tps and all wires for a loose connection still nothing also checked my egr and its fine I'm running a straight exhaust currently I've never seen that cause this problem and also when i pump the brakes the engine boggs down almost dying but still runs idk what to do guys if toyota can't figure it out who can please give your best replies thanks!
Old 05-19-2013, 01:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

before you dropped the tank did you ever check the fuel pressure with a gauge??

When you pulled the pump out how did the sock look

Got the lines disconnected from the fuel pump bracket ok??

How many miles ?? These engines do get tired.

Vacuum Hoses in good shape ??

Have you done a compression test ??

I have some of these 22REC engines that only like Toyota wires run very poor with out them.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 AM

Fuel,pressure has not been tested it is never hard to start but I do notice when.the gas is lower it cuts out worse but the dealer swears he doesn't believe it's fuel and when I dropped the tank I didn't pull the whole unit out just looked inside with a flash light and tank and gas appeared clear and clean it has 260k miles good compression had tested good vaccine lines no Rotten or tear I can't hear the pump kick on tho when I just turn the key I had a 87 supra and when u turn key u can hear it hold up pressure no problem are these pumps quiet Toyota mechanic said wire harness appears good just had valves checked motor is good
Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Unless you live in a real rural area I bet the dealer tech never saw a truck that old before. was clueless because he or she could not plug it into the computer

If you have good spark The timing is where it should be i lean toward a fuel pump problem.

Are you in the habit of driving on fumes running the tank low kills fuel pumps .

another possible problem could be looking in the tank dropped a bunch of dirt clogging the new filter.

Is the CEL (check engine light) on at all?? If so what codes???:jessica::jessica:

Air filter new?? or only a month or 2?
Old 05-19-2013, 03:23 PM

okay no cel on before I replaced the TPS I did a jump wire from e1 and T1 one and it gave me code 11th which is TPS so I put a new one on and it was still doing it so I reset the ECU and then it said the engine was fine code which blinks once when I dropped the tank I made sure I cleaned the top of it so no dirt fell inside. Its been doing it since I got it from the previous owner I don't drive it around on fumes. Right now it has horrible gas mileage and lacks power. When I barely accelerate it, it Will run right but is as slow as a turtle. I basically have to floor it to keep it from cutting out. And the air filter appears to be fine, and is not dirty