Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1986 long bed wheel cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1986 long bed wheel cylinder?

trying to purchase new wheel cylinders for my standard cab 2wd long bed 1/2 ton. On the old cylinder it says 7/8 bore but i cant find a 7/8 bore for a long bed i am finding only 15/16'' bore. its either its a 7/8 short bed only or its 15/16 long bed only. does it really matter? thx for any info
Old 02-18-2017, 01:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The critical dimension will be the over all length .

If the mounting points line up so the cylinder push rods meet the slots in the brake shoes

I myself would not get excited over a slightly larger bore diameter
Old 02-18-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the shoes and drums for both trucks are the same then buy either one. If something is different then buy whichever one matches the drum diameter you have. Just make sure you buy two of the same bore. Stroke is all that is going to matter. I'll bet you they are actually the same cylinder. The only good reason they might have had two different bores is so they could use the same braking hydraulics for two different drums. I doubt this is the case but check. The larger bore with the same hydraulic flow will have a slightly shorter stroke.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have not done the rears on a two wheel drive but on a 4 wheel drive, Toyota did use two different length slave cylinders on the 84-88. Both will bolt up but if you get the shorter one instead of the longer one, the piston can blow out of the cylinder and cause loss of brakes due to fluid blowing out. Really pay close attention that you get the exact replacement. I posted my experience in my 86 Runner build below some where in my thread. It was not a fun experience.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like you are going to have to measure your drum then. I would say to order the one's for your model but it's more important that they match the drum. At some point someone may have been sold the wrong brake parts and unknowingly converted it to the short bed setup. Who knows.

Good example of this. My 02 4runner was a pretty stock rig and was sold with 15" wheels. I recently swapped rear ends with a 2000 model that had a locker. In researching the compatibility of the axles I noticed , on the donor vehicle, next to the axle code on the tag in the door jam, it says "with 16" wheels. I'll eventually sell that rig and the next guy will go to buy brake parts and will be in this same situation. The drums are different on the 4runners with 16" wheels, by the way. And I don't mean "with 16s" I mean the ones that were shipped that way originally.