86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1986 4 runner 2.4L ANOTHER REAR WINDOW PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 4 runner 2.4L ANOTHER REAR WINDOW PROBLEM

I know this is covered here in several threads, but my issue seems to be a little different from most. The rear window was working fine up until last Thursday when I let it down using the key switch. A few minutes later I tried to let it back up with the key and "NOTHING" no clicking relays, no working in one direction and not the other. Just DEAD! I then tried the front center console switch and NOTHING! Just Dead! No clicking relays/just dead.
So for the past few days I have been reading the threads all over the place trying to figure it out. I went online and bought a replacement window relay from ebay, I bought a new Circuit breaker from the dealer and replaced them both. NOTHING. I checked the power at the Circuit breaker under the dash behind the kick panel and there is power to that and both the old and new CB's ohm'd out with a meter. I know there are several switches in the circuit so I started there, the one under the bolt by the rear under the fiberglass top is there and the bolt is tight. the switch that turns on the idiot light if the window is down also works. I am at a loss. The only thing left as far as I can tell is the rear window key switch or the other switch in the tailgate.
I can see the key switch, but is there a third switch in the tailgate besides the one that turns on the light up front and the key switch?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

There is a safety for the wiper if it is not retracted all the way it stays open and the window does not work.

You also need to check that the switches are working when they should.

As all these switches go to the rear window relay any open circuits or bad switches will keep the window not working.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
There is a safety for the wiper if it is not retracted all the way it stays open and the window does not work.

You also need to check that the switches are working when they should.

As all these switches go to the rear window relay any open circuits or bad switches will keep the window not working.
Interesting. One I didn't know about. Means it could be that switch or possibly the harness plug you disconnect to remove the top, eh?
Old 09-25-2014, 05:40 PM

Thanks guys and somehow it fixed itself. it probably has some corroded circuitry somewhere in system. thanks again.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:47 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
If it was the rear wiper interlock, all it takes is just wiggling the wiper to get it working again. You could easily have done that accidentally.

About 5 years ago, I ripped my rear door apart, plus the rear side panel where the rear window control board resides, tested all the relays on the board, considered buying a new control module (until I found it was $600!), and generally wasted most of a weekend until I found that the rear wiper wasn't seated properly. Shoved the wiper back into place and all was good. It's never failed since, either.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:56 PM

Sadly, I have the DX model without the wiper or the switch, so I'm not sure what actually fixed itself and I know its only temporary.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:26 PM

Red face

Interesting I have a DX as well and it has the rear wiper has someone removed yours??

I have never seen one without a rear wiper.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
The rear wiper is listed as standard on all models. If someone removed it that might be part of the problem.

You probably saw this on the other threads but besides making sure the wiper is parked correctly sometimes I have to lean against the tailgate a bit for it to open/close.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:13 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
There are at least 3 interlock switches any one of which can keep the rear window from operating. The rear wiper, as noted, and one on each side latch of the tailgate. There may be others, but those are what come to mind.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
The Rear Wiper Retraction Detect Switch

IF problem is free to fix itself, it is also free to come back

I also have a dlx and it has the rear wiper.

To add to RJR's comments, These feed inputs to te relay module:
  • Rear Window limit switch,
  • Door lock detection switch and the
  • Rear wiper retraction detection switch
  • Maybe another that detects if door is fully closed? (Gotta check full schematic)
The rear wiper retraction (parked) detection switch is very touchy (and it's made like it was hastily put together).

1986-1988 22RE Schematic:

When rear wiper is parked, switch is open. As soon as wiper even slightly leaves its park position, switch closes and connects pin 13 of rear window control relay to ground. Control relay logic thinks wiper is in the way of window so it will not allow window to roll up.

Next time it happens, remove pin 13 (green wire with yellow stripe) from connector ONLY FOR THIS PARTICULAR TROUBLESHOOTING PURPOSE. If it makes problem go away, measure resistance of wire to ground. Probably low. Watch this resistance as you check action of the switch itself as you move wiper in and out of park position. Also check parking position itself; Is it consistent? Is there binding, preventing wiper from consistently going into exact park position? (A future project idea of mine is replace the wiper park slide with a roller).

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 09-28-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:37 AM

Red face

To the OP if your rear wiper is gone which seems the case just remove the wire from pin 13 if this happens again.

Which it will as things move and bounce around.