Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

1986 22RE 4x4 SR5 o2 sensor location

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 22RE 4x4 SR5 o2 sensor location

Ive recently found a problem with my exhaust manifold, its cracked right down the middle. After talking to numerous sources Ive gotten different answers to where the o2 sensor location should be. Now my truck has it on a pipe after the exhaust manifold, its a single wire o2 sensor. The replacements Ive found so far have the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold itself? A few dont but most do? Would this be a okay replacement, or should the o2 sensor definitely be after the junction where the pipe hooks up to the exhaust manifold? Thank you for your help, I definitely want to get the right one.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Some of the earlier years had the sensor in the manifold

If yours is in the pipe you can always put a plug in the manifold and use your stock location

With out some research I don`t know if it would effect what the ECU sees

Now some states can be real strict just where things are
Old 12-03-2016, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Alabama, we don't have any emission test stuff. I just want it to run good, this has me all twisted up, lol thank you for your reply!!
Old 12-03-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a Dorman brand manifold. As you can see it has the hole tapped for a o2 sensor but also comes with a block off plate for trucks with different applications.

My advice would be keep your sensor where it is. But if you want to change it up this manifold would give you that option. I found this one on Amazon for $75 and comes with all your gaskets and collector hardware.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:19 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by edmondsonknives
Ive recently found a problem with my exhaust manifold, its cracked right down the middle. After talking to numerous sources Ive gotten different answers to where the o2 sensor location should be. Now my truck has it on a pipe after the exhaust manifold, its a single wire o2 sensor. The replacements Ive found so far have the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold itself? A few dont but most do? Would this be a okay replacement, or should the o2 sensor definitely be after the junction where the pipe hooks up to the exhaust manifold? Thank you for your help, I definitely want to get the right one.
i wonder if someone did a custom install on the pipe, because the correct location is in the manifold, it's an unheated sensor.

i'd dig up a manifold from the junkyard or something.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
the O2 on my '87 efi is on the manifold, as well.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
87 and older it is in the manifold like Wallys picture and is a single wire. 88 and newer it is in the exhaust pipe near the transfer case and is a 4 wire sensor.

I like Dormans replacement manifolds and have had great luck with them.