Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1+1=1 86 4Runner Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1+1=1 86 4Runner Project

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking around here for a few months, just gathering information and ideas, and I've finally "finished" my project, for the most part. I wanted to post it up to show off what I've done, but also to say thanks, because all your input has helped a lot, even if it was all meant for someone else, haha.

First, some pictures:

I bought the blue one about 3 months ago and the black one about 2 months ago. The final product is an 86 4Runner SR5. All gauges are intact including the altimeter. It is a 22RE still with IFS, and it will stay that way.

Many of you can tell what I did. Both 4Runners are 86 SR5s, one had front end damage and one had rear end damage, and I combined them together. It wasn't easy (as many of you likely know) and I did more than my lifetimes' share of drilling, prying, spotwelding, welding, rust proofing, seem glueing, etc., but I think it turned out great.

In the 4th picture down, there is a white blob which hides my best friend Richard. He was the brains behind the opperation, and I couldn't have done it without him. Neither he nor I like our picture posted on the internets, which is why he got erased.

The tail gate was in really bad shape, but Richard used it to teach me how to do body work. I'd never done any before, and we both agreed he wouldn't touch it, but that he would only supervise. What's hilarious to me is that he finished the body work on the entire rest of the truck before I finished the tail gate.

Mechanically, one engine is currently under a machine at a shop. It's getting a mild port and polish, and complete refresh all around. I should get it back by the end of January, at which point I will take my precious time reassembling everything with OEM components. In the mean time, the other engine runs well enough to drive for now if I really needed it to because it is now winter. But for now I'm mostly relying on my other car (an 85 Corolla GT-S) which really doesn't like snow or being my daily driver.

The long term goal is for the truck to be my daily driver for the rest of my life. After finishing the engine, I plan to fix the rear end sag (back to stock height) with a set of Alcan leafs, then add Bilstein shocks all around. Later I might add a cam, headers, and a custom exhaust. Other than those things, I'll just slowly address the rest of the truck, and rebuild/replace parts as needed.

I haven't posted at all because I don't really have anything to add to the site, as this is my first Toyota Truck/4Runner, and the search function answered all of my questions. But I wanted to say thanks again and that I feel lucky to have found this site.

Jeff
Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM

GREAT WORK! you really did a good job, and I agree with taking the time to do it right. I had an '86 that looked like your blue one when I started building it, [IMG][/IMG] (how it was finished) and now the '86 that I have looks a little like the new one you have.
These Runners are getting more and more rare, and like you I plan to drive this one forever.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:23 PM

Thanks Erik. I just love seeing 4Runners like yours that give me hope mine can look half way decent someday, haha.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:28 PM

Here is my newest one, I call it TUCK! [IMG][/IMG]
yours looks great! mine is an '86 SR5, we have alot of the same mods in mind. Good luck with the build, looking forward to your updates.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:35 PM

That's really cool. I almost bought one before these two that were that gray color (but without the cool trim). I guess I forgot to mention up top that it will stay primer black for a little while until I can save up for paint then it will go back to a bunch of fresh coats of stock blue with the decals painted on in light gray.

But I'll definately post updates as they come, and I'll be scouring the forum for ideas to steal...I mean borrow...haha.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You did a great job on combining the two and making one. That was alot of work. I have dealt with spot welds. A spot weld cutter is so worth the money. I started with a Blue 86 just like yours minus the stripes and non SR5. Looking forward to your build. On my 88 Runner build below, I tried to list alot of the common problems you may run into and some fixes.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Thanks Terry, that's a lot of stuff, haha. I'm almost off work but I'll definately read through your thread the next chance I have.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik Hinch
GREAT WORK! you really did a good job, and I agree with taking the time to do it right. I had an '86 that looked like your blue one when I started building it, [IMG][/IMG] (how it was finished) and now the '86 that I have looks a little like the new one you have.
These Runners are getting more and more rare, and like you I plan to drive this one forever.

nice looking runners all. i want one, i'd like to swap a 3rz in a "clone" of my truck.
erik, what brand of fenders are those? hannemann? they look sharp.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM

Quick Update:

Had a radiator fluid issue on the currently-in-the-truck-not-being-rebuilt engine the other day. I limped it home while stopping every twenty minutes to refill radiator fluid although there were no leaks anywhere, hmm... Also had steam coming out of the tailpipe.... Any guesses guys...?

Got the head off and the #3 cylinder was squeeky clean while the other three cylinders looked normal. So I just finished cleaning up, replacing the head gasket, and slapping the head back on. While I was in there I decided to check the valves too but all were still in spec.

I just need this engine to last another couple months before it becomes a spare/side project, so hopefully it will do that for me.