84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Timing chain guides (tensioner side)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain guides (tensioner side)

Ok so my timing chain guides are gone (passenger side) and the tensioner is not working on the passenger side. From what I have read usually the drivers side goes first. It only makes noise at startup until oil pressure builds then it's fine. My question is what will happen if I run it for a while like this? I know when the drivers side guide is broken it will wear a hole through the the cover and into a water jacket. Is this also true with the passenger side?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Fix it before it destroys your engine. No ifs and or buts, if the spring doesn't hold it while the oil pressure comes up it's done and you are risking your valves contacting pistons, the chain grabbing the tensioner ripping it off the engine and dragging it around thru the timing cover..
Old 01-15-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Yeah the spring is already gone. Was in the oil pan.

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Fix it before it destroys your engine. No ifs and or buts, if the spring doesn't hold it while the oil pressure comes up it's done and you are risking your valves contacting pistons, the chain grabbing the tensioner ripping it off the engine and dragging it around thru the timing cover..