84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Thank God for Glock - A story of an almost stollen 4rnr

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank God for Glock - A story of an almost stollen 4rnr

Around 3 am this morning I woke up in a dizzy haze which was the result of a Memorial Day spent in Mexico with Margarita?s and Corona?s, to the sound of a vehicle being started. As the haze began to fade I realized that the car was not starting but only the starter was firing.

I thought to myself, ?wow?.that sucks to deal with that at this time of the morning?.? As I began to fall back asleep my heart suddenly hit 180 beats a minute and I was already running out the door with my Glock in hand before I realized why. After spending a lot of time working on my truck lately I must have gained a fine tuned ear for the sound of MY starter and with out looking out the window I knew someone was trying to start my baby.

Now, one might ask, ?Why did the truck not start?? Well, today was a unlucky day for this not pleasant thief because last Friday I preformed a compression check on my truck and when finished I became incredibly lazy and didn?t put my spark plugs back in?(yes I know, I was REEEEEEAAAAALLLLY lazy, but thank God and beer for that!)

As I came running down the stairs to the street the thief put my truck in first gear and was using my starter to slowly move my truck towards a steep street. I had planned to come up on the drivers side so I could trap the not-nice person and citizen arrest his can and present a nicely wrapped present for SDPD but because my truck was now moving I had to come up on the passenger side of the hood and brace myself against the truck to keep it from going farther while pointing the Glock at him with my right hand explaining to him, very loudly and with very naughty language, that if he didn?t stop and put his hands up that I would be forced to use what ever cash he had in his pockets to get a new windshield, seat, and a interior detail. He stopped.

He exited the vehicle and started to make a move to run but I got around to the drivers side and continuing to give directions on how to lay down on the ground. Once again, loudly and with language. He at first stared at me straight faced. ?Oh my God, if this guy is on speed or PCP this is gonna get messy? passed through my head but thankfully his confusion was because he didn?t understand one lick of English. I will hold back my opinion on Illegal immigrants for sake of not turning this into a racial debate.

His face quickly melted to crying and in a broken English, ?Por favor no shoot homee? again and again. This scene distracted me from the fact that he was pissing himself in which I would later step in this puddle with bare feet. As I continued to scream at him to get on the ground, he began to limp backwards. After he reached the rear of my truck he turned and ran while saying ?Forgive me homee, Por Favor no shoot me? I chased him to the end of my block in which I decided he was not worth getting my feet bloody on the rough asphalt. He tripped and fell half way down the next block which brought laughter to my neighbors who had been watching in shadow until it was clear that things were ?safe?.

Getting back to my truck to examine the damage I stepped in a puddle of water but quickly realize that this was not water but urine when the smell hit my nose. I cursed the Mexican to hell for once again but I doubt he heard.

It appears that he used a Knife to open the drivers door and a chevy key (what a disgrace) that he forced into the ignition to ?start? the vehicle. The door lock is toast but after spending about an hour removing the broken key from the ignition, I am able to get my key to turn over the truck with some TLC. Needless to say I will be getting a new ignition. SOB! I locked my truck, washed my feet outside with the hose, and failed to sleep so read until I had to go to work. I called my local gun shop to make sure that the my 500 Series Persuader 12 gage 18.5 inch barrel with pistol grip shotgun and light would be in next Monday that I had ordered last Thursday. Damn 10 day law. I would have made the thief eat that!

Anyways, thanks to laziness and my Glock my Toyota is still my Toyota and I doubt that thief will ever come around my block again. If he?s stupid enough, he?ll find a nice little booby trap in my truck that will make short work of him tonight.

Once I figure out my overheating issue, I will be installing my kill switch system that will make my truck incredibly hard to steal.

P.S. he had 50 pesos fall out of his pocket just outside my truck.... 5 dollars.....great. It'll cost my more in gas then I'll get at a currency exchange place for the bill!

Last edited by midiwall; 06-05-2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: mod edited for language and censor work-arounds
Old 05-29-2007, 04:05 PM

Holy crap man...that's nuts. Don't get that around here at all...knock on wood. I'm still wrapping my Canadian head around the fact that there seems to be a large percentage of American citizens that carry guns on a regular basis....I suppose in some cases it proves to be useful eh? That's funny he pissed himself....that makes it all worthwhile! I'm still paranoid of anyone breaking into my rust bucket for tools n'stuff and it's in a garage, but then I think it gives an easier hideout to break in, whereas if it's in the open people will see. What's the rules for protecting your property/truck with a firearm...could you have shot him in the foot or only in self defence er'what? Silly question from a Canuck...
Old 05-29-2007, 04:12 PM

I think it depends on what state you're in. Texas I believe it's still legal to shoot first, and ask questions later. At least it was a couple years ago. DO NOT go onto someones property at night...

But it's very state dependent. I think the south and southwest are the most lenient. In Arizona, you can carry a gun any time you want, as long as it's in public view. Concealing it is the only problem here.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:13 PM

good show popak...id like to know what the extent of force that you could use as well. I like canada and all, but its retarded when the criminals have illegal weapons and the good guys get to carry a stern face.. i too would have shot the guy and claimed self defence or something ( i think i have some yankee in me somewhere). If they are coming across your border and just stealing...bang! bang! good riddance. and at least he didnt piss in your yota.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by BluYot
could you have shot him in the foot or only in self defence er'what? Silly question from a Canuck...
If you have to shoot, you shoot to kill. Always. If you injure the guy, you will be sued for everything you own. No matter what the situation was.

Popak,
Nice job on saving your truck. Had it been me, I probably would have killed the alien. I really need to get off my butt and install my kill switch.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by BluYot
What's the rules for protecting your property/truck with a firearm...could you have shot him in the foot or only in self defence er'what? Silly question from a Canuck...
In the Communist State of California the law states that you may ONLY use lethal force when your life is in IMMEDIATE danger. According to many people in this great state immediate only applies after you have been injured. This State is notorious for criminals being shot in the foot getting awarded lawsuits and homeowners getting thrown in Jail. Unlike Colorado with it's "Make My Day" Law which would have permitted me, legally, to splatter this guy. Texas would give me a parade in my honor to ridding the world of this scum. Washington D.C. I would be executed and he would be made a national hero for the Mexican population and be given a national holiday only to be seconded by Christmas.

The laws vary greatly from state to state.

I have no desire to kill anyone, especially for theft of a vehicle, besides child molesters. you can line then up on my front porch. But if he would have approached me, I would be getting ready to have to defend myself against murder charges. And no, I would not shot him in the foot. The leaves a breathing scum bag alive to come after me in court. I make individuals who are at the end of my gun very aware that approaching me in ANY way WILL result in there IMMEDIATE DEATH. No exceptions.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:36 PM

The future protector of my Baby.

Nothing gets the attention of a thief more then the notorious "Click Click" of a pump action.

It also comes with a laser sight!!!!!.......... Which I might state is pure SILLINESS! IT's a freaking shot gun! If you need a laser sight for a shot gun you sure as hell shouldn't be using one. But hey, it's free and I'm sure it'll scare the sh** outta the bad guys.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:41 PM

good for you Popak.
You did the right thing and made your point understood in any language
word will spread out in the theiving population to not mess around on your street. your neighbors should thank you or at least buy you some beer
its a good thing you kept your cool and did not shoot. you would have lost everything including your freedom.For our buddy Canadians, America is a gun country and it is how we were established and maintained our freedoms, well most of them. Police are only there to fiill out crime reports and to protect businesses.
Here is a neat factoid, most Canadian policemen have to leave their guns at work when they complete their shifts. How crazy is that?
Good job Popak
Old 05-29-2007, 04:47 PM

Since were on this I have a question, I hear alot of people doing the kill switch/ antitheft stuff to their rigs. I have a 00' Limited with the anti theft deal in the key. Can they still get my rig running without it? Do people still do the anti theft stuff to these years? Just wondering, sorry for the slightly OT jacking!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Nice job at stoping the thief popak. I keep a 20 gauge rem. under my bed after my apartment got broken into. I was out of town but luckily my roommate was home and scared the crap out of the guy. however, he wasn't very smart and hid in the bushes across the street. The cops showed up and found him hiding there Needless to say he went to jail for his second or third B&E. Frodin, as far as your truck goes, it shouldn't ever start without the key. The immobiliser system cuts injector pulse so the car won't start. It will crank all day long but not start. Have yet to hear of anyone who got one started without the key.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Froggy93
Nice job at stoping the thief popak. I keep a 20 gauge rem. under my bed after my apartment got broken into. I was out of town but luckily my roommate was home and scared the crap out of the guy. however, he wasn't very smart and hid in the bushes across the street. The cops showed up and found him hiding there Needless to say he went to jail for his second or third B&E. Frodin, as far as your truck goes, it shouldn't ever start without the key. The immobiliser system cuts injector pulse so the car won't start. It will crank all day long but not start. Have yet to hear of anyone who got one started without the key.
So get a shotgun to protect the key!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:18 PM

Ya, my old neighbour was a cop and he had to leave his "work" pistol at the station...I'm sure he had another packed away in his house. Here if someone is on your property, you simply say, "Hey man, get off my property eh?!....or you offer them a beer and join the party In major cities it's a little different story....like the 14yr old that just got shot in Toronto at school. Guns are nifty and all, but ah, I'd rather duke it out the ol'fashion way with Johnny Left and Right....that'll learn ya!....or my multi-purpose lev-bar/beat-pipe behind my seat...cool shotty though. My buddy just got a new one holds 8 shots and its the same one the RCMP tactical sqad uses but he's using it for hunting, I think you can only have 4 in though to be "legal"...I forget the name, crazy.

Last edited by BluYot; 05-29-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow! Thats intense!

I try to keep my truck as empty as possible, when you look inside you see nothing but a clean interior , cd player with no faceplate and a wheel club.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM

That's what I figured. These guys figure these things out so I wasn't sure if there was a way to bypass it. Anyway, Good job on the self control I think I would've unloaded on him! I too sleep with Dads ol' crack in half under the bed and the 9 in the drawer.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:06 PM

I am not in favor of thievery but to the people saying you would have shot him in the face, you really disturb me far more than an illegal trying to steal a car.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 PM

settle down Henry
everyone talks a mean story until it is them in Popaks shoes and all of these thoughts are coming in to your head and you are overloading on adrealin
lots of tough talk but unless you are in total fear for your life anyone who would have shot him would be facing manslaughter
Canada- great country but duking it out with criminals bent on hurting you ain't what keeps us armed.
crack heads, gand bangers, and 2nd strikers who ain't going back to do time are why we need to protect our slves and families.
by the way, what the hell does your buddy hunt in canda with a tactical shotgun???
Old 05-29-2007, 06:39 PM

Well in reality I wouldn't shot a guy in the face just for stealing my truck. I have a 12ga rem and a 30/30 soon a 45mag handgun for work.
In washington the law says this:
RCW 9A.16.110
Defending against violent crime -- Reimbursement.
(1) No person in the state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting by any reasonable means necessary, himself or herself, his or her family, or his or her real or personal property, or for coming to the aid of another who is in imminent danger of or the victim of assault, robbery, kidnapping, arson, burglary, rape, murder, or any other violent crime as defined in RCW 9.94A.030.

(3) Notwithstanding a finding that a defendant's actions were justified by self-defense, if the trier of fact also determines that the defendant was engaged in criminal conduct substantially related to the events giving rise to the charges filed against the defendant the judge may deny or reduce the amount of the award. In determining the amount of the award, the judge shall also consider the seriousness of the initial criminal conduct.

Well thats my two pennies.

Last edited by spanish-road; 05-29-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 PM

remember fellas
its a different world when you are the one having to make immediate decisions in moments like these
Popak, you made the right decision
don't listen to this web commando tough talk
you won't be tied up in court for the next two or three years trying to make explanations
Old 05-29-2007, 07:07 PM

Good question Shantz...I'm not too sure what he's planning on hunting....I think he just has too much money to know what to do with in a small town so he got it 'just cause' and they are planning on discontinuing it soon if not already....and he always goes way overkill on whatever he buys except for that he's a Ford freak (2004 Ranger)....ugh!...even though it's newer than my '91 Toy I still couldn't bring myself to get a Ford, Chev or Dodge. I know he goes up to his camp quite a bit and shoots those clay mebobs...maybe it's for those damn Bush Chickens! I'll get back to yas with that answer...

Last edited by BluYot; 05-29-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 PM

blu- nothing wrong with the gun and they have fun to shoot. just wondering zactly what he hunts with it. Most of the game you have up there is more suited to a rifle of at least 270 caliber and up

Quick Reply: Thank God for Glock - A story of an almost stollen 4rnr