84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

small vault question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
small vault question...

1985 4Runner. Anyone have a small safe/vault idea to put under the passenger seat? I'd like to have something I can get to quickly as opposed to putting something in the back of vehicle that requires lowering the glass, opening, the gate, etc...

Thanks,

TBC
Old 01-04-2017, 11:51 AM

I have thought of this and short of cutting the seat brace and welding one in I don't see how one could fit even a small metal drawer under the seat
If I do one I will take pics and post them
I want one for my gun under my drivers seat
Old 01-04-2017, 03:01 PM

i'd prefer to have one under the driver's seat but I believe (without looking right now) that the passenger seat has more room as it moves differently than the driver's seat...

Question to anyone who has measured...is there any space under there for a small vault that would be 3.5 inches of height or less?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just How big does it need to be??

Does it need to accessed while sitting in the drivers seat or would it be outside with the right door open .??

Are you able to fabricate and weld ??

Most likely not or you would have just built something .

I have a few Ideas depending on your answers .
Old 01-05-2017, 05:09 AM

I'd put one in there based on the size...I don't have the vehicle here to check the clearance space...there are a few manufacturers that make them in the 2.5 to 3.5 height size range. As far as width and depth, they vary as well. I would like to access it from the driver's seat, and if I have to reach across and down to get under the passenger seat (which isn't too hard to do), that's fine. I just don't want to have to get out of the car and get it from the back...as that requires opening the rear window, opening the gate, etc...

I have the vehicle at a fabrication shop right now and they are almost done with the other work they are doing. If something works, I could get it to them though...

Thank you...
Old 01-06-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Talk to them get there Ideas .
Old 01-07-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
You could raid the seat mounting height. Pick it up 3-4" and build your vault to fit under it. If the seat is too tall get a lower profile seat to replace it.