84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Skyjacker leaf springs

Old 04-28-2009, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skyjacker leaf springs

So, I haven't posted here in a looong while, but I've got a question. I just traded my stock rear springs for some skyjacker 6" springs (all four packs). I do a fair amount of trails and rock crawling when I go, so I'm curious as to how these will flex on the trail. These have only 3 leaves per pack, so I'm leary about removing a leaf to get the desired flex. I am curious if I can swap a factory leaf in the middle of the skyjackers to retain the number of leaves, but give it some flex at the same time. I also know I need shims to correct pinion angle, not sure how much 'shimmage' is needed though. I think I need a drop pitman arm for this big of a lift as well. Maybe longer shocks? Talk to me guys, thanks.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 PM

I'd go with cross over steering along with that 6" of lift. I think the suggested limit is 4" of lift for stock, correct me anyone if ya think thats not right.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Certainly will require longer shocks or you'll demolish the stock length shocks. Might check rubber brakelines at full extension.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by airmen65
I'd go with cross over steering along with that 6" of lift. I think the suggested limit is 4" of lift for stock, correct me anyone if ya think thats not right.
u can get a z-link drag/link bar from the pitman to the steering arm from super lift or skyjacker..... i have 6" springs, and 2" shackles. i use a z-link..... no problems here
Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
So, I haven't posted here in a looong while, but I've got a question. I just traded my stock rear springs for some skyjacker 6" springs (all four packs). I do a fair amount of trails and rock crawling when I go, so I'm curious as to how these will flex on the trail. These have only 3 leaves per pack, so I'm leary about removing a leaf to get the desired flex. I am curious if I can swap a factory leaf in the middle of the skyjackers to retain the number of leaves, but give it some flex at the same time. I also know I need shims to correct pinion angle, not sure how much 'shimmage' is needed though. I think I need a drop pitman arm for this big of a lift as well. Maybe longer shocks? Talk to me guys, thanks.

u wont beable to flex all that well rock crawling with skyjacker lift. u can swap the leaf for a stock but u will loose lift and weakin the other two springs. u will need shims front and rear, if the shims arent already in the leaf pack. i had to put 20* shims front and rear. and yes u will need longer shocks. i went with 10" lift shocks for my yota so the axle doesnt just hang on down stroke due to shock. but keep in mind im here in the south and do alot of mud riding and trails. NO CRAZY ROCK STUFF
Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 AM

drag links
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...=399&t_pt=4482
Old 04-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Shiming information:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml#FAQ1
Old 04-29-2009, 08:04 AM

I think skyjacker springs come with a shim built into them... at least they did on my 4" rear lift springs.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by flashkl
I think skyjacker springs come with a shim built into them... at least they did on my 4" rear lift springs.
The trick is that you may or may not need the shim depending on what type of drive shaft you have:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...FixingProblems
Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 PM

Okay, I just tried to install these (just to see how they would sit) and they seem to be too short. My shackle has gone from stock to being completely in line with the spring. Anyone think I could use some banana shackles o fix that?

I've got rancho 5000 shocks, I think they are bigger than stock but I'm not sure. I also have already upgraded to extended steel braided brake lines.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 PM

Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 PM

once you put weight back on the axle, it'll look better. And these springs tend to flatten from their initial arch a little, so that'll help too.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM

I checked the part number on the front springs and it matched, so maybe I got 2 pairs of fronts or something. I will try to find a number on the "rears" but the paint is probably rubbed off too much.

Last edited by hmmwv15; 04-29-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:38 PM

Both front and rear part numbers check out.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by flashkl
once you put weight back on the axle, it'll look better. And these springs tend to flatten from their initial arch a little, so that'll help too.
Jeez, I forgot about the weight of the vehicle.

The shackles have worked their way healthier, not quite back to stock, but they aren't vertical so that's good. They are probably healthy enough to drive on.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:17 PM

w00t!!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:26 PM

zlink ?

New here and need some help! I picked up an 86 truck with a straight axle conversion and 3" body lift. my front springs were flat, so i got a set at the local salvage yard. Just finished installing and didn't expect the lift! I know I will probably have to adjust my pinion angle with some shims, but my main concern is that my drive link hits the rear u bolt when the steering is turned right. the angle seems real steap. Is there a longer pitman arm or other fix to reduce the angle and fix this problem? I also need to add some lift to the rear as I am 3" high in the front now. Thanks for any advice!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mikes86yota
New here and need some help! I picked up an 86 truck with a straight axle conversion and 3" body lift. my front springs were flat, so i got a set at the local salvage yard. Just finished installing and didn't expect the lift! I know I will probably have to adjust my pinion angle with some shims, but my main concern is that my drive link hits the rear u bolt when the steering is turned right. the angle seems real steap. Is there a longer pitman arm or other fix to reduce the angle and fix this problem? I also need to add some lift to the rear as I am 3" high in the front now. Thanks for any advice!
From your description, it sounds like you have a push-pull steering setup from an '85 or earlier truck. If so, you'll likely need a dropped drag link, I think the one I used to run is from Superlift:

Could also be the spring pack you installed is too thick. With a dropped drag link you can also consider flipping the ball stud on the driver's side steering arm (ball on top instead of below) for added clearance. Or install crossover steering and get rid of the stock setup:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ng/index.shtml

Last edited by 4Crawler; 04-29-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 AM

If you have any kind of money to spend, I'd swap to crossover steering, you already have the right steering box for it. Throw some add a leafs in the rear to try and gain some lift.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:22 AM

crossover

Thanks, I was checking that out this am as well as the drag link. I am afraid even changing the angle will not give me the clearance I would like to have. I think it could still hit given the right circumstances. If it mounted to the top of the steering knuckle, that would be the trick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Skyjacker leaf springs