84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Sensors schmensors

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 02:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sensors schmensors

Ok I’m an older guy who isn’t really fond of all the electronics and vacuum stuff in vehicles so they really bug me rather quickly when I have to deal with them. The bugs on today’s menu are pictured below.

I’ve read a few post stating that sensors that are in the cooling system should be cleaned off every couple decades or so, lest there be lil problems. This warning reminded me of an idle issue (too high sometimes) I have from time to time. So I figured I would do a lil cleaning. But noooooo! ! !

First problem, the black sensor has 2 vacuum hoses attached and a socket isn’t going to go over the hose attachments. But the top of the plastic seems a bit loose, kinda like there is a way to detach part of it. Instead of breaking the old plastic part I figured I would ask a question or two. Does the top/plastic part of the sensor come off so I can remove the sensor from the engine? If so how?

Also, there is a sensor with a green plastic wire attachment in the pic. What does that one do?

Thank you

Update: this is for my 1984 Pickup, 22R
Attached Thumbnails Sensors schmensors-temp-sensors.jpg  

Last edited by L5wolvesf; 04-14-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: engine info
Old 04-14-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The vacuum lines attach to the bimetallic vacuum switch, it disables the egr system while cold. It really shouldn't spin in the housing but it's not a major issue if it does. You'll have to get a wrench on it to get it off, use an open end socket adapter if you can't wiggle a wrench in there.

Not sure on the 3vz but that's probably the distributor pickup wire hanging out in that image.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
The vacuum lines attach to the bimetallic vacuum switch, it disables the egr system while cold. It really shouldn't spin in the housing but it's not a major issue if it does. You'll have to get a wrench on it to get it off, use an open end socket adapter if you can't wiggle a wrench in there.

Not sure on the 3vz but that's probably the distributor pickup wire hanging out in that image.
Hi Co,
Yeah, I recall someone mentioning a bimetallic vacuum switch. It doesn't spin so much as the top is kinda loose like there is a removable cap on top.
Getting a wrench on that is gonna be a PITA. If it only does EGR stuff I'm gonna let it slide. My EGR is likely all clogged and non-functioning.

My bad, this is on my '84 pickup with a 22R - I updated my post.

Thank you.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Hi Co,
Yeah, I recall someone mentioning a bimetallic vacuum switch. It doesn't spin so much as the top is kinda loose like there is a removable cap on top.
Getting a wrench on that is gonna be a PITA. ..
Howdy!
Yes, for EGR. Don't know how it is on the 22R but on the 22RE I had no trouble using a 19mm on it. (here). May be a slow process, though. I think the plastic cap is merely a holder of a filter for when it vents from/to the atmosphere.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Howdy!
Yes, for EGR. Don't know how it is on the 22R but on the 22RE I had no trouble using a 19mm on it. (here). May be a slow process, though. I think the plastic cap is merely a holder of a filter for when it vents from/to the atmosphere.
So if
1) I figure my EGR is clogged up, as in probably never been touched, and
2) the truck runs good, except for during cold weather it doesn't like to warm up and stays on high idle,

The best plan would be to leave it alone. Does that sound correct?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:03 AM

Based on Co_94_pickup's post above, I think it's good to get ii fixed so EGR will be disabled when cold and perhaps help warm it up better.
Or... maybe the failure to warm up sooner is caused by thermostat not closingg?
Old 04-15-2017, 11:06 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Now the image makes more sense, and on a bigger screen and not rushing out the door.

Yeah that's a bit of an air filter on top of the air valve, it will have two or three clips and a bit of poly fill type dust filter.

To the lower left is the temp sensor that hooks up to the emissions control (computer), this is the one you want to remove and descale (sensor and housing). Without digging out specifics, it should effect the manifold heater and choke, and as you likely know if this sensor is crusted over the scale acts as an insulator and reads cold for longer.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Yes, they should be cleaned regularly... at least once every 30 years lol! A world of difference after I did mine, including fixing my hard cold starts.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:06 AM

Outcome: I pulled the sensor with the green connector and it was pretty clean, no hard water scale (and we have very hard water here), and no rust or other junk to speak of.
I took a soft brass brush to it (so I could say I did something) and re installed it. With that being as clean as it was I made an executive decision and skipped doing the vacuum wing-ding. I consider the 30+ year maintenance cycle to be complete now.

However, as I was about to reattach the air cleaner housing I noticed that the end of a rubber vacuum line was split and would not hold on to its port on the manifold, so I clipped off the end and put it back together. That hose, roughly a .25 inch ID, leads to a piece inside the air cleaner housing which then splits off to a smaller vacuum line. I'm wondering if that part would, if not getting enough vacuum, would cause the idle to stay up in colder weather.

That's my story and I'm stuck to it.