84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Problem with pro comp drop drag link

Old 11-07-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with pro comp drop drag link

Hello, I just recently purchased a 1985 Toyota pickup but am having an issue with the steering. When I got it the steering was very sloppy. I found that the stock drag link was shot. I got a pro comp drop drag link since the truck has a 4 inch lift, seemed like a good thing. The issue I'm having is that when I go to install it, I have soft steering one direction and stiff the other. What I have found was that there are the two springs, one in each drag link end, that are supposed to help with bump steering. Well, the way the directions show to put it together, it's causing the arm to compress both springs one direction and neither spring the other direction. This doesn't seem correct to me...

The stock drag link I removed had one spring inboard of the ball on one end and one spring outboard on the other end so that one spring was compressed in either direction. I don't know if I got sent a drag link with a wrong end in it or if I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-07-2015, 07:33 PM

4crawler has a little info on this. He used a different brand drop drag link but he notes it was designed same as yours- compression one way for tight steering, springs engaged other way for loose steering. He just clamped down on the cap screws as tight as possible and says that helped.

Here is the link:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspension.shtml
Old 11-07-2015, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by nvdesertrunner
4crawler has a little info on this. He used a different brand drop drag link but he notes it was designed same as yours- compression one way for tight steering, springs engaged other way for loose steering. He just clamped down on the cap screws as tight as possible and says that helped.

Here is the link:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspension.shtml

Great thank you, I'll take a look at that.