84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

No idler arm on '84 4x4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No idler arm on '84 4x4?

I just picked up a '84 toyota pickup 4x4 and drove it home an hour and a half. The interstate was not too great because the truck was getting squirly at those speeds.

I read about the idler arms on these trucks and how they could be the culprit but I looked on my truck and I cannot seem to find one on my passenger side wheel well. It looks like in the spot where its supposed to be is just a bar.

Is this normal or has someone removed my idler arm?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I dont have my old 85 truck to refer to at this time which would be the same as yours. Idler Arm on a IFS truck it would not steer with out an Idler Arm. The steering on a solid axle truck which is what yours is, is completely different from an IFS truck which is 86 and newer that uses the Idler Arm. Yours I am sure will not have one.

I have rebuilt a solid axle truck and in most cases the front end just needs a complete rebuild including axles, steering, and leaf springs. When the front end is solid, it should travel well at high speeds. I ran my solid axle truck constantly at 70-80 mph with no issues. It will take a lot of work to get the front end new again as most I see the leaf springs have lost their arch and front axles need rebuilt.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:21 PM

Do they sell these parts in the aftermarket for a reasonable price? or is my best bet to go junk yard hopping to find what I need.
Old 10-29-2016, 07:36 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
what is the exact problem? wandering, or vibration at certain speeds?

if a solid axle truck is setup properly, it'll drive just like terry said... i've had mine up to 85mph, going downhill in a tail wind with 37" tires on beadlocks.

it's all aftermarket crossover steering tho, is your rig stock? maybe post up a pic of the front end.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:11 PM

mainly just wandering at high speeds. I've got it in the shop right now getting a a cancerous spot cut out and patched on the frame. They also checked my front axle and are replacing a seal in it that was leaking some fluild.

They also said there was some slop in the the steering where theres a ball and a knuckle or something along those lines. They said they were gonna tighten that up while they're in there. Who knows it may just be the old truck. It drives like a champ though I took it wheelin the other day up the mountain and it handled it like a boss.

Once I get it back in the next couple days i'll post a pick of it so y'all can see what you see. Man if the frames on these trucks were as solid as the motors I could see all these trucks hitting 500k easily.