84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

New Carb for 84 22R, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Carb for 84 22R, which one?

Hey,

New owner of a 84 4x4 regular cab, 5 speed. 186K

Having some idle issues and have researched possible issues: fuel solenoid, emissions wiring panel on floor board, vacuum leak, etc... I'll be checking all these.

Back story:
Upon purchase....Truck was idling about 1200rpm when warm and drove it a few times like that. Engine was vibrating as well. I knew carb would need some attention or some of the other issues noted above.
Driving in the RAIN for the first time today, is when the idle suddenly started to fail and stall. Otherwise, fires up, runs fine.

That said, with the carb, rather than rebuild, I'd like to start from "0" with a new carb. And sus out the other possible issues.

Lots of options and prices. Collective wisdom on which is reasonably priced and easiest bolt on solution.

I've seen one listing on ebay that offers pre set idle mixtures for around $200, after sending in the old one?

http://www.carb-x.com/foreign-carbur...ine/22r/43-064

Seen others for under $100 but not sure on pre setting or quality.

Thanks...

Last edited by bremoit; 05-20-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:21 AM

Okay, going with the Carb X rebuilt model.

Butterfly plates are not opening and closing properly on the passenger side of the body and this one appears to have been rebuilt by a previous owner and not set up correctly. I think the carb being out of tune and not functioning correctly is causing the engine vibration I'm experiencing as well.

Gonna start from scratch with fuel delivery.

http://www.carb-x.com/foreign-carbur...ine/22r/43-064

a bit high $$$ but is plug and run, pre tuned and all.

Will report back.....

Last edited by bremoit; 05-20-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Vacuum leaks can definitely cause rough running problems.

Check your distributor cap, rotor, and spark plug wires. They do not like to get wet on the inside.

Most members here will say "just get a Weber".

Weber carburetors are much simpler than the stock carburetor, which makes them fairly easy to install and get running correctly.

I personally prefer the stock carburetor. Even though it is more complicated, it can perform well under all conditions when everything is set up properly.

I think for most people here, installing a Weber is worth it because the stock carburetor can be pretty tricky to set up right. I am still trying to get mine working properly after my rebuild.

Please report back how the Carb-X works for you. We like hearing if things work or not!

Old 05-20-2017, 12:50 PM

thanks for the note 87,

I will be going over all systems as you mentioned.

Weber vs. Stock

Although I am new to the 22R world, I know from my airhead BMW motorcycle experience that stock units are a bit easier to dial in and is less fuss setting up when set up correctly. Bing is the stock on a BMW airhead and alot folks run other brands and have a time with jetting and setting up.

From what I've read the Weber is good but can have some cold start issues among other things?

Prefer a plug and run (hopefully) on the Carb X model. Supposedly dialed in on a running engine prior to shipping.

Will be a week or two, but I'l report back.

Glad to see there is an active forum here for all this.

Cheers!!!!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 PM

Here is where I source the few I've bought.
http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/l...partnum=toy505
Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 PM

Here is where I've bought a few.
http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/l...partnum=toy505

...but google 'toy505' ; I found one new, for $179 w/ free shipping.

good luck...
Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM

To follow up..I did purchase a rebuilt carb from Carb X.

Carb was not the issue. Improper voltage/ground to the fuel solenoid was causing my no/poor idle issue. Sorted by grounding the solenoid to the carb body. Idles as it should now.