84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Multiple Keys opening dorrs and starting vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple Keys opening dorrs and starting vehicles

So what do you guys do to prevent other Toyota keys from starting your rig and possibly getting stolen?

I knew about how many other keys did this but I ordered a gas door lid with lock/key from eBay and painted the lid to match then placed it on my truck. I was going to have the key matched to ignition but then thought it is better if when my wife is in the car, and myself, if we are out and about that we have the gas key separate for handing out while filling up. This way we still have the ignition key in an emergency or something crazy happening in the middle of nowhereville (which has happened btw).

Well if I'd be a monkies uncle that dang gas key starts my rig without any sort of wiggling. It also opens the doors but needs to be wiggled to do so...When out in the woods and away from my truck I always take my main distributor wire and one other with me figuring that is a decent deterrent.

So how about some options anyone?
Old 09-20-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Your situation is pretty typical for a 30 year old truck. You can get new cylinders re-keyed so they are fresh if you want security. One thing for sure is I would hate having multiple keys for the same vehicle. If you want to have another key for the wife just make a copy of your regular key, not sure why it needs to be different. So what's your question?
Old 09-20-2016, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
Your situation is pretty typical for a 30 year old truck. You can get new cylinders re-keyed so they are fresh if you want security. One thing for sure is I would hate having multiple keys for the same vehicle. If you want to have another key for the wife just make a copy of your regular key, not sure why it needs to be different. So what's your question?
I like a separate key for the gas door lock so the ignition key does not have to be given to the person pumping gas. That is safer for the occupants in shady areas out in the middle of no where.

Are you talking about just rekeying the existing cylinders or having all new ones installed?
Old 09-20-2016, 02:48 PM

Install a hidden kill switch so even if they have your key its not going to start.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
this saved my bacon a few times
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...system-240126/
Originally Posted by dropzone
I have been considering one of the Grant Removeable Steering wheel systems for a few years. TrekkerPaul gave me a Grant steering wheel out of truck he parted out so thought it was a good excuse to order one.
Cheapest place I found was from Jegs. Ordered on Friday, got here today(tuesday) awesome service IMO. About $50 lower than Auto Zone and $90 cheaper than Grant's List price of $215

Install time is probably 20-30 minutes or so.
Put the Grant Removeable steering wheel security thing in today:

Put the key in, a slight turn to the left and pop off the steering wheel:

Put the Red 'can't drive this one' warning in:

I think this will be a great way to help me keep my truck around...
and i also did this
Originally Posted by dropzone
So this is an idea I have had to slow down oxygen thieves for awhile.

Won't stop a determined individual but with a couple of my other anti theft deals it will slow them down..
Hard to drive in 2nd gear low range
and i had a series of kill switches
Old 09-21-2016, 12:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
I am sure glad I don`t live where you all Live !!

I leave my keys in the ignition pretty much all the time it is a habit.

It seems your lock cylinders are just worn out that way just about any correct key blank no matter the cuts will work on all your lock cylinders
Old 09-21-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I am sure glad I don`t live where you all Live !!

I leave my keys in the ignition pretty much all the time it is a habit.

It seems your lock cylinders are just worn out that way just about any correct key blank no matter the cuts will work on all your lock cylinders
Yea pretty much what the locksmith guy told me. Thought it would be a bigger deal.

A professional will get it no doubt if they want it but there are quite a few yahoo's out an about where our gold mines are also when we prospect. I just don't need the aggravation or make it easy.

I usually use high decibel magnetic alarms when the magnets separate it really blast out the noise. I do this when working the mine or out away from the truck in the woods prospecting. It chased away one transient when I left my door unlocked once. He started moving a bit faster when he saw me come down the hill with my AR in hand Josephine County, Oregon is a shoot first ask questions later type of place - still very wild.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:39 PM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
i want to get this, put a sleeve on it, wrap it around and thru the front wheel/spring/axle:
http://www.westechrigging.com/pewag-...716-kit-4.html