84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Missing, Knock CEL, Hesitation ~1800-2400RPM

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you jumper the test plug when you did your timing? Timing should not be moving around that much when jumpered. With the test connector in you want 5 degrees BTDC. But if you are at 5 without the test connector in the timing is retarded much to far. Should read around 12 in normal idle operation (un-jumpered) but that can vary.

A friends truck behaved this way when the timing was way off, like ATDC. Turned out we had a bad timing light.

The vac hose off the dashpot is normally connected to a tiny air filter. It should not have actual vacuum on it.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by andykrow
Did you jumper the test plug when you did your timing? Timing should not be moving around that much when jumpered. With the test connector in you want 5 degrees BTDC. But if you are at 5 without the test connector in the timing is retarded much to far. Should read around 12 in normal idle operation (un-jumpered) but that can vary.

A friends truck behaved this way when the timing was way off, like ATDC. Turned out we had a bad timing light.

The vac hose off the dashpot is normally connected to a tiny air filter. It should not have actual vacuum on it.
Yeah I have it jumpered when I set it. I testing my timing light, it's working fine. I don't think it jumps around all that much.. 4-6 degrees

If you take a look at my latest pictures.. I'm replacing my injectors this week. If that doesn't fix the issue I'm not sure what I'll check next. :/
Old 05-23-2017, 04:01 PM

While I think replacing the injectors is necessary and will help, looking at the wiring in your photos tells me you have a lot more to fix and diagnose.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by 85TRD4runner
While I think replacing the injectors is necessary and will help, looking at the wiring in your photos tells me you have a lot more to fix and diagnose.
Wish there was someone nearby that had a clue how to do it.. because it's outside my skill set. Any idea what that bottom connector is for? I know the wire would be impossible to tell me.. but the connector seems fairly unique.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:22 AM

Hmm i wonder if your total advance is messed up? Have you looked at timing without the connector in? I have heard there are a lot of early ECUs that advanced way too far and cause the miss you speak of.

That's a tough one on the wiring. Mine has some extra A/C wires hanging out unconnected, even though my truck never had factory A/C.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by andykrow
Hmm i wonder if your total advance is messed up? Have you looked at timing without the connector in? I have heard there are a lot of early ECUs that advanced way too far and cause the miss you speak of.

That's a tough one on the wiring. Mine has some extra A/C wires hanging out unconnected, even though my truck never had factory A/C.
While in my driveway the timing seems fine, under idle and when I give it some RPMs.

I put in new injectors today, going to redo the injector connectors. Still trying to figure out what the empty connector is. I think the single wire is for the A/C compressor that it not hooked up.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the help everyone! I re-did the wiring today and replaced the injectors. No more miss!