84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

just bought an 84 toyota 4+4 pickup and engine is knocking

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought an 84 toyota 4+4 pickup and engine is knocking

Hey everyone I'm new here but could use some help. The truck I bought is listed as having a complete rebuilt 22r. Has not even been broke in. Drive it a block and it starts knocking. He swears he did everything he sais he did and that I over reved it before it was broke in and probably spun a bearing. I don't know what to think. Took the valve cover off and everything looks real clean but there are little silver shavings in the oil. Holds oil pressure. Ran great when I test drove it but it was in a car storage area where you couldn't go fast enough to leave 2nd gear. I don't know how he covered it up but he has put a lot of extras on the truck. Can't go back on deal dude used fake name and never titled to himself. Any advice. Thanks so much.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I smell some shoddy work on a rebuild. I just rebuilt my engine (the entire truck actually) and had no problems at all, but then again, I have also rebuilt dozens of engines before. In fact, I hardly had any shimmer in my oil after my first oil change at 500 miles. This whole "over revving during break-in" is a bunch of BS unless you pegged the tach for a considerable time without a load. If you had shavings (not shimmer) in the oil then I would pin that on improper clearances and machine work during the rebuild. These engines do have a slight tick to them - even brand new or rebuilt, but here's what I would check:
-Firing order and spark plugs, also make sure that you are getting good spark from the coil
-Timing could be causing you some pinging and pre-detonation. Double check the timing and advance at idle and higher RPM. Make sure the cap and rotor aren't worn
-Look for vacuum leaks that could be throwing off your timing.
-Verify the valve clearance (.012" on the exhaust and 0.008 on the intake)

These are pretty hearty engines and very easy to rebuild, but that doesn't mean the the idiot that you bought it can't kill it. Also, don't ever buy a vehicle from somebody that uses a fake name - you're just asking for problems.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:44 PM

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply. I realize I posted this in the wrong spot but not sure how to move it. He told me about the fake name when I contacted him the next day about the rod. I'm pretty sure it's the rod knocking or a spun bearing. I've decided,after reading on here for a while and doing some research on rebuilt 22r engines that I'm going to rebuild the engine with a buddy of mine. I'm a carpenter and he is more like a farm mechanic than an auto mechanic so we were hesitant at first but after hearing everyone's support for rebuilding your own I'm in. The plan is to take another short block we have easier to get to and strip it down and take to machine shop and then re build with the head I just got anything we need from engnbldr. What's the best thread to ask questions along the way. Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 08:06 PM

Definitely silver shavings and my buddy thinks he cranked one of the bearings down to much and then thought if he didn't rev it it would break itself in and then he spun it out and sold as is and tried to put it on me. I didn't even get around the block and definitely didn't rev it high. The guy even told me , in emails since the exchange, that he didn't even have a spot in the car storage lot we were in but that he new the code and put the truck in the first empty spot 20 minutes before we got there. He sells on craigslist t in colorado springs so beware. He was very thorough with his scam. But like I said a lot of stuff is real nice on the truck that's obvious and he sais he did a bunch of other stuff you can't see.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I just realized that you posted in the wrong section too. The 22R is synonymous with the pre-84 pickups as well as the 84+ pickups so you'll responses should be similar, but I'll move this thread to the 84/84 tech section for you.