84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

which header is better?..4 into 1 or tri y

Old 12-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which header is better?..4 into 1 or tri y

hello all,
i have a question about which design is better since i wouldnt say one header is better than the other they both do the same thing in essence but which design would you all say gives you a better "feel of the pants" if you will..ive have had a thorley tri y before and loved it but it was not ceramic coated so after a little while of course it became rusty and no long after i sold the truck not bercause of the rust just to move well i now have another 22r and was wondering about buying the thorley but we all know the money those headers run because of the quality but i have found a long tube four into one header by pacesetter that is ceramic coated and is nearly the same price as the thorley..which way would guys go if you were buying one of the two..any ideas, comments, experiences with these
thanks brian
Old 12-04-2008, 05:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I just put a Downey header on my truck, its a 4 into 1 header, its a very high quality header and the price is around 300 dollars, i would recomend it.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
If you research some say 4-1 for top end and Tri-y for lower end. I've got the Thorley and love it, prices have gone up since I got mine though. Don't mess with Pacesetter I had nothing but fitment issues they had good customer service and even sent me a different application listing still issues they stopped answering my calls so I sold both their peices to get the Thorley.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM

never any complaints about thorley and LCE on this board. I have LCE. they are both tri-Y. if you have fitment issues with any other products, or find that they begin to rust down the road, you will wish you spent the extra dough on a good one. LCE is ceramic coated.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by muddpigg
If you research some say 4-1 for top end and Tri-y for lower end. I've got the Thorley and love it, prices have gone up since I got mine though. Don't mess with Pacesetter I had nothing but fitment issues they had good customer service and even sent me a different application listing still issues they stopped answering my calls so I sold both their peices to get the Thorley.

Try-y headers do not improve low end performance, they improve top end performance. a 4 -1 header will give you better performance than a Try-y header.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tri-y's tend to produce more peak torque, whereas 4-into-1's tend to produce more peak horsepower.
what's the difference you might ask?
...the peak torque of the engine occurs at a lower rpm than the peak horsepower, hence the implication tri-y's offer better performance at lower rpm's. However, tuning the engine can affect the overall result.
feel free to google and form your own opinion
Old 12-05-2008, 12:23 AM

I don't think you could tell a nickel's worth of difference between the two designs from a performance standpoint. What are we talking 1 or 2 horsepower depending upon the rpm?

I would buy something that isn't going to warp, crack or rust. I'm very happy with my LCE header and would recommend them. Like someone already said, I haven't seen any complaints about LCE or Thorley.

Btw, you should also make sure that you aren't too restricted or unrestricted downstream of the header. 2 1/4" all the way back is the recommended configuration for optimal back pressure.

Last edited by Wardamneagle; 12-05-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:01 AM

thanks to all of you who replied..some food for thought

I appreciate everyone who chimed in with their experiences and so forth i agree with ""the what are we really talking about here one or two horsepower" idea as well, i know this wont be a drag truck but you cant replace experience with these items with just a bottom dollar, so with all that being said i think ill try the long tube ceramic coated so i dont have to worry about anything (hopefully) for a while since its ceramic coated..i would think that the motor would have a problem before the header would..its just a dd that i would like to make as efficient as possible its a little 2wd 5spd..thanks for all the input guys...Brian
Old 12-05-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anyone wonder why the stock 22r/re exhaust is tri-y? (hint: better low/mid-range power than 4-1)
Old 12-06-2008, 01:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wardamneagle
I don't think you could tell a nickel's worth of difference between the two designs from a performance standpoint. What are we talking 1 or 2 horsepower depending upon the rpm?
You can definately feel the difference in headers. My direct experience is with 4AG/ae86 corolla GTS headers made by TRD.

The old school ones were 4x2x1 (tri-Y) and made the car feel faster overall.

The current ones are 4x1 and you can feel more in the top end.

On my 85 pickup I'm leaving the entire powerplant stock. Drivetrain is definately not staying stock.