84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Fuel Pump Mounting Bracket Woes

Old 09-23-2015, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Mounting Bracket Woes

Greetings! Ive been lurking on this site for years but never has something stumped me to the point of needing to actually post! Ive searched and searched and maybe its because Im a retarded newbie but didnt come up with anything and seriously hoping someone reads this and takes pity on my wretched soul.

So I picked up a '85 4runner on whim a few months back to replace a mostly stock '95 Tacoma as a camping/trail rig and realizing I should have listened to my gut when it came time to buy. I was told the truck had been sitting a "couple years" but after crawling under the thing I knew it had been longer. I bought it anyways and after pulling the tank and looking inside realized this truck had probably been sitting closer to 8 years and maybe more. The inside of the tank and everything related looked like it had been sitting on the bottom of the Atlantic since Reagan was waging war on an invincible enemy and I was still rolling around in a dirty diaper. I immediately got online and ordered everything I figured I would need only to find out after the fact that the fuel pump mounting bracket and sending unit are perma out-of-stock with every Toyota dealer in the world (trust me, I called, a lot) and now Im stuck with a tank and possibly the right pump but nothing else. From what Ive found there were 2 tanks, a 17 gal and a 14.8ish gal. Ive been able to find parts for the larger of the tanks but not the smaller. I would like to keep the smaller of the 2 tanks as the larger hangs about an additional 2" below my frame rail when mounted and as you all know when on the rocks the 4runner fuel tanks get caught up quicker than a little league team at a NAMBLA meeting, so Ill take all the extra clearance I can get.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

In all seriousness whatever advice you guys have would be hugely appreciated.

TIA!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I see them on ebay or check the bone yard for the fuel pump mounting assembly. I clean my tanks with vinegar and it takes some time. In my build links below, I have information listed on how to do it on the first few pages. Gas that has been sitting for long periods of time gets nasty.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the advice and yeah I've been checking the wrecking yards and even bought a few from them over the phone but both times I ended up with incorrect part. its nearly impossible to get one of those guys to take the time to take measurements or take pics before hand so its kind of a crap shoot and I already have a small collection of incorrect fuel system related parts stacking up in my garage that i dont want to keep adding to. I saw the brackets on ebay and tried to contact the sellers directly to confirm what they have will actually work but no one gets back to me and again its a situation of taking a chance and then having to deal with being refunded and shipping something back. I think Ill have to chance it though and just keep ordering stuff until I end up with the correct series of parts.

At this point a damn fuel cell would have been cheaper and probably easier!

thanks again
Old 09-24-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If need be modify one of the bigger tank fuel pump brackets to work.

Make you own fuel pump bracket

Go to an external electric pump mounted to the outside of the tank of the proper pressure and flow.

sell what you have and go with a fuel cell

for the gauge go with a after market gauge and sending unit
Old 07-07-2016, 01:59 PM

Is there a basic rule of thumb concerning where an electric fuel pump is located? If a FP is located in the gas tank and one wants to relocate it might the rule of themb be to keep it closer to the fuel tank or close to the fuel block?
Old 07-07-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
X2 on cutting a larger on to fit smaller tank. I'd stick with the Denso pump.

Should be a simple matter of measuring, cutting, and reattaching. I'd spot weld it but could prolly get away with bolts.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 PM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf
Is there a basic rule of thumb concerning where an electric fuel pump is located? If a FP is located in the gas tank and one wants to relocate it might the rule of themb be to keep it closer to the fuel tank or close to the fuel block?
Electric pumps push better than they suck.

Best to mount one as low and as close as possible to the tank.