84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Failed Smog test

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Smog test

I have a 1985 Toyota Longbed with a 22R engine that refuses to die! It has been stolen several times but I keep getting it back. This last time they stole my new tires, battery, stereo and speakers, and several little things, including the hood prop rod! When the police found it the yard that was storing it offered me $250 for it, basically the junk price, so I went to the local Pick-a-Part and found some tires and rims that fit, a used battery, put them on and drove it home. It sat for a while because I really have no more use for it, but then I heard about the Cash for Clunkers plan where they would give you $1,000 to get the vehicle off the road, all it had to do was fail the smog test. Well it wasn't running very well, so I though it would be a piece of cake to fail. I didn't do anything to it, just took it in for a smog test, but it passed everything except the ignition timing! (see attached photo 1).

I sent the paperwork in anyway to the Cash for Clunkers program, but it came back saying that bad timing was not a qualifying offense, and on top of that it hadn't been registered in the last 120 days (another requirement). I had paid the registration but not taken it in for the smog test, one because I didn't think it would pass, and two, my junkyard tires had blown out in my driveway (I had to replace two of them to take it in for the smog test). So now I have someone who needs a vehicle so I thought that I would just correct the timing and get it smogged and let them use the truck. I even had the oil changed for good measure, which cost me a fuel pump because apparently it was leaking as there was a strong fuel smell in the oil. The engine doesn't idle very well until it gets warm, so I drove it around until the idle was smooth and took it in for a smog test, but it failed the emissions this time! (See photo 2)

I figured it would be better than before after working on it, but that was not the case.

So I know there was a guy on here before who could look at the test results and give you a clue as to what was going on, so I am hoping someone on here can help decipher this now and point me in the right direction to get this thing to pass a smog test.
Attached Thumbnails Failed Smog test-fail-timing.jpg   Failed Smog test-fail-emissions.jpg  
Old 08-19-2016, 10:06 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
be careful here, if it fails again i think that it could be tagged as a gross polluter?? it might be smart to pay for a pre-check next time you get it smogged, because the test results don't get sent to sacramento.

that doesn't address the real problem, tho, i'm confused about how it could fail so badly, when it was fine a short time earlier.

the engine/cat needs to be hot for a smog test, if you drove it a couple of blocks then took it in, i'd wonder about that.

perhaps the shop that worked on it last got some hoses crossed or something? i'm an efi guy, all i can say is to check the hose diagram that's on a sticker under the hood... not sure why the timing says "0.0", it should be 5btdc on my 22re?