84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Carb? Fuel Pump? AAP? Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb? Fuel Pump? AAP? Rebuild?

Hi There folks!
I've recently got a 1984 longbed pickup, 2-wheel drive, with a 22R, with 312,000 miles!! Runs great most of the time, had to do some minor work on it.. but recently I've got a problem that I cant quite figure out..

Basically it started the other day on some dirt roading, (not quite off roading) where basically you could give the engine a little gas, and if you pushed the pedal down any harder it would sputter and if you floored it, it would die.. I found myself cruising 15mph for 30 miles, until I got the the nearest NAPA and swapped out the fuel filter, it didn't fix it. So I slept in the truck til the morning and was gonna take it to a mechanic, but in the morning it was fine, and ran perfect for the 45 mile trip back home. I drove it for a couple of days, but then last night, it started doing the same problem. Now though, it has a hard time even starting, let alone idling.. If i do get it goin, it goes for like 200ft then sputters out and dies.. where are back in the NAPA parking lot earlier this week it would idle fine...

Now I see very little fuel in the carb sight, if at all, whereas, about a month ago, I took it to the mechanic because the sight glass was almost all the way full, where he told me that as long as it burned all the way, without overflowing out of the carb, it would be fine.. but now theres hardly any fuel at all in the sight.

So my questions are:
Could it be the fuel pump? The guy I bought it from said he just replaced it...(along with the fuel filter, but I also did that just 2 days ago)

Could it be that I need to rebuild the carb? if so, there is no tag on the carb, someone must have done it in the past and not replaced it... any recommendations on what kit to get, and any good websites that walk you through the rebuild? i'm skilled but not quite that good with cars YET!

Could it be the AAP? I've read around and it seems like it could be it, but when i take off the top of the air filter casing, and look into the passenger side choke hole, i can see the spray goin in when its fueled... so i'm not sure if thats it...

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
KRASH