84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

Anyone buy back a truck you sold 10 years ago?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 07:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good story it reminds me of having to go to western NY(almost to Buffalo) to pickup my buddy Gregg.
His Nissan patrol he bought threw a rod end and he was stranded.
It was a big ordeal I had to get a u-haul tow dolly and tow him back to VT.
The story: http://offroad.dogwater.net/patrol/patrol_saga.php
Hey but at least urs was a easy fix.

Helped out my buddy gregg a few times:
http://offroad.dogwater.net/outings/...20-nowheel.php

Although I haven't bought a truck back I sold years ago.
My 82 truck was previously owned by my friend Dan.
I also happened to stop by a repair station and two of my old trucks were getting custom work done to them.
My 85 4 runner had the back of it cut off because it was rolled and my 93 4 runner was undergoing a SFA swap. What are the chances of two of your old trucks being in the same place? lol

Last edited by 934rnr; 11-14-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Road trip adventures are sometimes the best, but you have to have some free time, vacation days, or expendable sick days..just in case it takes a bit longer.

Those Patrols are sweet.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its funny i sold my old 854runner to 3 of my friends and ended up getting it back 2 times.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:30 AM

Sold mine when i was 14 got it back, Sold it got it back, Sold it and now have it back. Im not selling it again. You got lucky tho...Mine was trashed.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

I have a little different story. About 10 years ago I was driving a Mazda B2200. I came across this 88 Toyota Extended Cab, light Blue for sale. They wanted $4000 for it and I remember I wanted it real bad but could not get anyone to finance me at 19. It had A/C, I recall and I wanted that real bad too. It was for sale by a police officer in a town near me.

Fast forward 10 years. My wife had a 91 4Runner and we were looking for a bigger vehicle. I found a Suburban that they wanted a couple grand for and offered a trade. When I went to test drive the vehicle I found out it was not as nice or in as good mechanical shape as I first thought. They really liked my 4 runner and said they also had a Toyota pickup, 4WD extended cab that was just an old hunting truck in rough shape, but it ran and drove. I said OK, if it drove I would take it sight unseen with the suburban in trade for my Runner. When I came back that weekend to pick up the two vehicles, the truck (which was thrashed) turned out to be the same truck I had test driven ten years earlier. I had traded for it sight unseen! It is now the truck on my avatar and sports a new paint job and a 22RTE. I have yet to redo the interior but that is next. Some of the stuff I had too fix: clutch master cyl, engine swap, new wheels and tires, paint, new windshield, new back glass, new rear bumper (MC) new grille, front bumper, valance, condenser, armrests, door handles, stereo, steering wheel, pedal covers, tranny shift knob, glovebox, SR5 gauge cluster, wiper arms, factory jack equipment, speakers, marker housing, bumper end, tailgate handle, antenna, OEM mudflaps, electric fan conversion, camper shell, Tire chains, and:

Planning for new mirrors, carpeting, bucket seats, window tint, sub/amp, paint and fold out side windows for the camper shell, leaf spring buildup, and Regearing to 4.56's from the 4.10s to get my gas mileage back after the change to 31's.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM

thats awesome man its like a second chance almost, and the problems were probably because the truck was pissed at you for selling it in the first place, im glad everything turned out okay sweet truck to.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:48 PM
SKT

I just found this thread...and all I can say is WOW!

Wow to an awesome story, and wow to the cleanest 4runner I have ever seen!

Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When you got Harrison AR. you were in my part of the woods. I guess living here a person doesn't think of hwy 7 as scenic or how nice Buffalo river is. I am glad you made it back home ok.It looks like a nice rig and worth the trouble.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:05 PM

I used to drool over the 1986 SR5 that I have now. 10-12 years ago, a girl I worked with drove it every day. I always parked my 86 next to it.

Fast forward to 2008, I hear that it's for sale on the radio. It's less than 5 miles from me as the crow flies. I get it for $350 with a rotten rear frame. It has EFI, gauges, buckets, and the body is in good shape. It even has a decent wooden flatbed and recent white wagon wheels.

Current plans are to put it on my solid frame, SAS and run the 22RE until it blows up. I'm not rebuilding an engine until I go through the three I have sitting in my garage.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 PM

I kept my 87 4Runner parked for about 10 years - it's about time to resurrect it No regrets on keeping it yet - but that might change before she's back on the road

I don't regret hanging onto it - that's for sure...
Old 10-23-2010, 08:21 PM

I did, but not a toyota I had a 1970 800A IHC Scout that was my first car in high school and sold it out of frustration and ended up getting the chance to buy it back years later. Kind of a cool feeling to get it back. Congrats to you.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:32 AM

Cool story.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:57 PM

No regrets, 3 years later. The first few months back in Austin, I did take it out and wheel it, but then I put a dent in the rear corner, and I had to rethink my plans.

At first, I added some more armor, but then I decided that rock crawling wasn't my style, at least not with this truck.

I bought two 85's in hopes of building a dedicated wheeler, but they sat in my backyard for 2 years before I actively decided to sell them.

I have added extra tube work all the way around, crossover steering, new springs in the rear, and new ones on order for the front, upgraded the front brakes, put a performance head and offenhauser intake on it, and a few other doo dads.

Here's how it looks now:

front bumper work, not in pic above:

Thanks again for reading and sharing your stories.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:02 AM
SKT

Any updates or fresh pics of this awesome 4Runner?

Old 11-23-2016, 05:02 AM

Very cool story!
Old 11-24-2016, 06:19 AM

Kissing cousins

Originally Posted by SKT

Any updates or fresh pics of this awesome 4Runner?

Thanks for chiming in. I'm closing in on 10 years with her, the 4Runner, and still daily driving and no plans to sell. My Tacoma is now built for Colorado Camping and back roads, I use the 4Runner to get to work and errands, and I picked up a nice cherryish 85 Supra to be a garage queen. I'll post photos of the runner when my shift ends.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:09 PM
SKT

This one still doing good?

Old 11-27-2017, 04:17 AM

Daily driving it often. I finally got the new front springs to settle down by taking out a leaf. My Weber had been acting funny lately, so I have been messing with that. I'm considering doing an engine swap for her 300K Birthday.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Austin - Great Post. Let me know when you want to sell......... Ill put a new 22RE Performance motor in !
Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 AM

I have built for folks and then years later bought my clients autos but that was when I ran a shop " professionally ". IF I could validate they took care of'em & Knew the price was fair, I buy. ( NOT 4x4's owned by civilians ) I know jack squat about the yota " 80's " 4x4 market frankly but with building, buying and selling....there is a cross-over with experience/principle.

I have two 4x4 old yotas that Im either gonna contract out or just put back stock till I figure out what else to do. Worse case, Ill park them & part out and just go get a Uni-mog. ( dunno the best decision yet , thus I am here )

IME or IMHO, as long as ya understand what it is you are buying, nothing wrong with by backs. Heck, I have done this with lots of tangible assets as well.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy back a truck you sold 10 years ago?