84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85' Pickup with 22RE hard to start....smell fuel

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85' Pickup with 22RE hard to start....smell fuel

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but a long time Toyota guy. I have an 85' pickup with the 22RE in it. Fires up nice an easy when dead cold, runs excellent, drives perfect, etc. After it's up to temp, if I park and go in somewhere, when I come out, it cranks, and cranks, and will eventually start and stumble it's way up to a smooth idle and I can smell gas. Once running it's excellent. The truck is new to me, but is very low mileage and has done more sitting than driving. I went ahead and put a set of plugs, wires, cap, and rotor on the truck (all parts from Toyota) It has a fresh full tank of ethanol free 87. Before I got the truck I have a receipt showing where the fuel pump was replaced, tank cleaned, and new fuel filter installed (although it does't look that new). After a full tune up, truck does the exact same thing.....thought I may have a dripping fuel injector, so I just put a fresh set of rebuilt fuel injectors in it this afternoon, fired up and ran amazing. Drove it for 15min, came back and ate dinner, went out to the garage and it's doing the same thing.....cranks for 4-5 seconds and stumbles to a start. Checked all the new injectors and no leaks (and the old ones had cracks in the o-rings) So.....where do I go from here? Thanks.