84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

84 pickup clicks and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 84 pickup clicks and stalls

Hey everyone,
I have a 1984 Toyota pickup xtracab Sr5(fuel injection). My vehicle turns over extremely slow on cold mornings. Is this normal? Also, my truck stalls a lot; i hear a clicking sound from the passenger kick panel(maybe the ecm/ecu) then it stalls. this happens while driving and while idling. I can turn the idle screw to be a temporary fix. The previous owner said that he refurbished the AFM. The air filter that came with the vehicle was in shreds by the way; it's been replaced. What do you suggest?

Last edited by youngson87; 11-16-2016 at 07:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-16-2016, 01:19 PM

hey youngson87, it sounds like your circuit opening relay is intermittently turning on and off, causing your fuel pump to cut out which is why your truck is stalling. the circuit opening relay is controlled by a signal from the AFM and by the starter. I'm not sure what the previous owner did to the AFM when he "refurbished" it but, I would start there and make sure your AFM is working correctly. If that checks out ok I would test your circuit opening relay.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:37 PM

Yea

Thanks. Will try that
Old 11-17-2016, 10:02 AM

alright, just got my truck back from the auto mechanics class. They said that the afm is probably bad. The truck runs without it being plugged in. going to need to try another one, i'll keep you posted.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:49 PM

I know that this is super late but here we go. My truck actually had several causes for the problem. #1 the air conditioner drain was clogged causing water to go back into the truck on the passenger side, this was causing water to touch the computer behind the kick panel. #2 The windshield had been replaced prior to me buying the vehicle, it also had a small leak that was causing water to drip on the passenger side also hitting the same kick panel. After fixing both issues my truck got better.
after a while my truck started to idle high and turn off while idling. i watched a few youtube videos and determined that i would tinker with the AFM. After toying with the afm a few times it got better and i havent had problems since.

Thank you for all the help!!!!
Old 01-09-2018, 01:28 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by youngson87
I know that this is super late but here we go. My truck actually had several causes for the problem. #1 the air conditioner drain was clogged causing water to go back into the truck on the passenger side, this was causing water to touch the computer behind the kick panel. #2 The windshield had been replaced prior to me buying the vehicle, it also had a small leak that was causing water to drip on the passenger side also hitting the same kick panel. After fixing both issues my truck got better.
after a while my truck started to idle high and turn off while idling. i watched a few youtube videos and determined that i would tinker with the AFM. After toying with the afm a few times it got better and i havent had problems since.

Thank you for all the help!!!!
I am glad you fixed the problem!

Electronics don't like water very much.

Thanks for posting back what the problem was and how you fixed it. It may help others who find your thread in a search!