84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

'84 22RE, runs great at WOT, poor idle, stumbling at lower rpm

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'84 22RE, runs great at WOT, poor idle, stumbling at lower rpm

On Edit: Stumble occurs at PART THROTTLE, ans small throttle openings

What's up, my Yota Brethren?
This truck is a long time ride for me, like 24 yrs of ownership!
Last year the head gasket finally decomposed at 310k miles, and I had a local 22R guru rebuild the engine.
I sent the 5 injectors out to Witchcraft for cleaned/rebuilt, and they were about 99% primo - (probably due to running a professional fuel system cleaning product from a company I have been with for 20 years!).
I had previously done an LG Eng front cover and dual row/20R sprockets/chain/steel guides, tensioner.
Got a new oil pump, all bearings, .020 over on pistons due to slight vertical groove in one cyl bore, the bores still had a good crosshatch, had the head done - mild skim to get perfectly straight, valve job, seals.
Cam and rocker pads were MINT (I also use our oil product, and the amount of any "grunge" was about the size of a finger nail on the horiz part of the oil pump pickup tube - spotless.
Got a spool of vacum hose, so all lines new. The EGR port in the head was blocked, so that got opened up with the cyl head redo.
Fuel pump is very recent. Distributor does not have any perceptible side, and maybe a tiny bit of end play.
Plugs, wires cap all good. The coil is OE, 30+ years old.
Fuel filter is not BRAND new, but was replaced not too long ago
The harmonic balancer has a tiny bit of side to side movement - the keyway in the crank had a tiny bit of slop.
One of the master techs at one of my accounts mentioned to me that the MAF box/sensor, even when new were not that great.
This technology kind of predates me, so I admit I am not really up to speed on MAF,
The truck has horrible idle, and stumbles a bit while accelerating, but at full throttle, it runs like the proverbial ape that has been assaulted.
Sometimes it is a bit hard to cold start, taking a few attempts to fire off.
The fact that it runs great on top takes a bunch of things out immediately - fuel pressure for one, blown head gasket, things that would be giving grief at ANY rpm, etc
I have NOT checked the valve clearance - again, I think it would not run well at WOT if something was really wrong.
I took the airbox lid off yesterday and poked at the flapper with my finger, to see if it even would move.
It took a good bit of pressure to move it - more than I would think, but again, I'm ignorant when it comes to MAF stuff - hopefully that finger poking as not a big no-no.
I did not see anything in a search that has to do with my specific issue, which is a first year fuel injected setup.
Ya'll got anything super obvious - something that is staring me in the face?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Glenn Cooper; 04-09-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the the throttle body? It may not be closing all the way causing a rough idle. I'm a carb guy but have had this issue with newer 3.4's
Old 04-09-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response.
Yeah, it's very clean in there.
I do complete Air/Fuel Induction services periodically over the years, comes with the territory, so to speak!
Turning idle adjust screw gets results, so that circuit is open for certain.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whats the fuel system cleaner you are using? Can we buy it on the open market? Or from you?