84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22re short block builders?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re short block builders?

Hello, sorry newbie here so hope this is an ok section to ask this in. Ive got a 1985 toyota pickup that decided to throw a rod through the engine block last night. Im looking for a rebuilt or new short block since I have an eng bldrs head and cam thats only about 8k old. I wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions of what companies put out a good short block or which ones to stay away from. Im looking at a bugdet of around 1500. I have considered finding a used 22re and rebuilding it but currently dont have much spare time or a good location to rebuild it at. I like the 22re and for simplicity sake Im planning on putting another one in even though a v6 swap would be nice I just dont have the ability to do that right now.
Couple of companies Ive found online are:
22re performance. They seem good but pricey and say the engines are a 24 week lead time.
toyotatruckengine.com which I've read bad things about
Yotashop.com read some good things but a little pricey maybe?
Lce engineering read good things but again, pricey

If theres any others you would recommend that would be great. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails 22re short block builders?-20161219_184634.jpg  

Last edited by jhsantacruz63; 12-20-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:39 AM

Another company I talked to was Davez Offroad Performance. I read some good things about them too, any opinions?
Old 12-20-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 598 Likes on 438 Posts
If you can't build one yourself, Its gonna cost you $$ for quality.

Last short block I built cost me $200 for the core(but I got a nice, uncorroded, genuine Toyota head too), $450 for boring and decking the block+ grinding the crank, and about $350 for NPR pistons and rings, OSK timing set+Aisin timing cover and oil pump and King rod and main bearings.

So about $1000 for a short block built by me with all Japanese parts. ('cept the Israeli King brand bearings)

I see commercial rebuilders in AZ offering cheap complete rebuilt 22res' for $600-$900 exchange, but they are slapped together with cheap Chinese slave labor parts.

You get what you pay for.

Ask questions about the parts used by anybody you go with.

Last edited by millball; 12-20-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:34 AM

Awesome thanks for the info. I may end up going that route. My work said I could stick it in a back corner so I may do that. Just have to find a inexpensive block to rebuild from.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:37 PM

Still curious about places to get short blocks if anyone has any experience.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Where are you located? That will help a lot.

Edit: you should be able to find a used block on Craigslist/OfferUp/etc for next to nothing. I gave mine to the scrapper. It was fine just couldn't give it away. After that it's not to bad depending on the crank and if you have to have the block decked.
I did a complete motor with my crank turned rods checked and block bored. New fully assembled head with cam and bottom end rebuild kit for somewhere around 800-1000. Can't find my receipt. But I have a good motor that I know will last. I think it was close to $1000 including having my flywheel turned and a marlin clutch ordered. I put the bottom end together. Took maybe 4-6 hours for the bottom end. If you have done a bottom end before they are fairly simple in these motors.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 12-29-2016 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I decided to get a long block from Sunwest engines. Piston ended up taking out both valves when the rod went. Just decided to get it and be done with it. Thanks for the input though.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by jhsantacruz63
Thanks for the info guys. I decided to get a long block from Sunwest engines. Piston ended up taking out both valves when the rod went. Just decided to get it and be done with it. Thanks for the input though.
How is the Sunwest motor running? I'm shopping around now.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:21 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by nix03
How is the Sunwest motor running? I'm shopping around now.
My turbo long block is from Mike up at Sunwest also.

It held over 20psi of boost for maybe an 1/16th to 1/8th mile before I blew the gasket out between #1 and #2. That is of course my fault, way to much boost and I neglected to retorque the head after the initial heat cycles and didn't request they put studs instead. I swapped the gasket for another and it is just fine over 200 miles later.

I had some minor issues along the way, Mike and Miriah handled them in short order. Miriah tried to send me an RE that came off the assembly line ahead of the RTE. Mike dropshipped me a full RTE gasket set to supplement the RE set that shipped with the block.

My only legitimate complaint was the rush job they did wrapping the engine, someone had dirty hands so some metal flakes were present. More details and photos in my gallery and build thread.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:57 AM

So far the engine has been good. I wasnt impressed with the packaging for shipping, they layed it on its side on a pallet after wrapping it in plastic wrap and put a cardboard box over to top. It did arrive undamaged and in good condition, just wouldn't have been my first choice of packaging. I just finished my install last weekend and only have about 50 miles on it but it runs well and feels strong. I will post an update when I get some more miles on it.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:03 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Ah yeah that. I was expecting a full sized pallet as well with it bolted to some plates or something like you see on TV. My box was a full box with the straps running thru it, not just set over the engine.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Ah yeah that. I was expecting a full sized pallet as well with it bolted to some plates or something like you see on TV. My box was a full box with the straps running thru it, not just set over the engine.
Yea same here. I work on airplanes and every engine we've recieved has always come bolted on a pallet upright. But it wasnt damaged so I cant complain to much.

Search this Thread