84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22re Poly Motor Mounts - Suggestions / Experience

Old 03-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re Poly Motor Mounts - Suggestions / Experience

Hey Guys-
I did some searching and happened upon a couple of threads on a similar subject, but none of them quite answered the question I have.

So, here's the story. I recently did a rebuild on my '85 22RE 4-Runner. As part of the rebuild, I decided to order Trail-Gear's Bulletproof Motor Mounts and Tranny Mounts. For those of you that don't know, these are basically beefed up mounts with Poly Bushings instead of rubber, and with a design that makes the mount more "Solid". What I didn't realize when I got things setup was just how "solid" these mounts would be. A couple of friends warned me, but I guess I had to find out for myself.

Basically, the mounts are so solid that the truck feels like its going to shake itself apart when running. At first I thought it was the engine rebuild itself, but after reading a couple of other threads, I have found this is common with the Poly engine mounts.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has had any luck doing the "hybrid" motor mounts. I've read in a few places that some people run one stock motor mount, and one Poly mount, and this reduces the vibration. I'm wondering if anyone has does this and can provide their experiences with it.

If you have done this, did you install the Poly mount on the drivers side, passenger side, or both, and how have things held up since then?

I don't mind a slightly rougher idling engine or vibration, but with the current setup the side mirrors effectively become useless at any speed because the whole car is vibrating so much (unless I am at the RPM where resonance kicks in and there is no vibration).

I do still have the stock mounts, and they are in descent shape, but getting them off the existing engine might be a pain since I just got everything nicely locked down in its bay.

In any case, any information you may have or experiences you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Poly mounts are for trail rigs and I wouldn't put them in a street driven vehicle at all.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that's kind of where I'm at an empass. This isn't my daily driver, I have another (much newer) vehicle for that. Although I don't plan to make this a trailer rig, I plan to drive it to / from off-road excursions.

If even running a hybrid of one poly and one regular will still require a dentists visit to have my fillings put back in, then I guess I'll just remove them both and find someone who wants them for their trailer rig, haha.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chain the stock mounts if you are worried.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yes, either stock mounts, chained:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...torMount.shtml

Or keep one poly mount on the one side and put a stock mount on the other side.