84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22r running horribly

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think your truck should be very similar to mine so once the weather here clears (tomorrow) I'll try to remember to look undermine.

BTW it would help if you sig line had your vehicle info on it.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
I think your truck should be very similar to mine so once the weather here clears (tomorrow) I'll try to remember to look undermine.

BTW it would help if you sig line had your vehicle info on it.
That would be much appreciated. And I do have both my rigs info in my sig. For some reason when I post sometimes it shows and others it doesn't..
Old 04-03-2017, 08:01 PM

Well the sig thing must be you because computers and the inter/web/nest are perfect - that's what "they" told us long ago.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by greyheadedguy
Shagool22, should you decide to change your oil pan, it is critical to make sure you have the correct oil pan pickup tube in the oil pan. I learned this when I changed a 2x engine into a 4x4 engine. You likely already knew that, but I would hate to not say it and you or someone reading this fry an engine because they kept an old oil pan pickup tube.

grey
Thanks grey, it may not be the proper oil pan that the truck is supposed to have but it does have the proper pickup tube for the oil pan. If I find out it is indeed the wrong oil pan then it will be changed for sure. Regardless can't have relay rod rubbing like that. If it hasn't already, it will put a hole in it. Haven't got to clean it up yet to check.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Well the sig thing must be you because computers and the inter/web/nest are perfect - that's what "they" told us long ago.
Haha it's always the users fault!! That's a given
Old 04-03-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
FYI on the sig thing, there is a check box for it, atleast in the "advanced options". Be default, once you setup a sig, it should add it to your posts. Messages in transit though the network (internet) can get corrupted/changed, but generally your actual messages would be modified too, not just one of the post settings. Yea... I'm a computer guy/techie/etc lol.

Anyway, I'd have to dig around a little, but there's a slim chance I might have a spare 22r 2wd oil pan, probably from an 86 truck. Should have the pickup tube too if needed. I know I have 4x4 oil pans, but probably wouldn't work too well in 2wd application =).
Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by atcfixer
FYI on the sig thing, there is a check box for it, atleast in the "advanced options". Be default, once you setup a sig, it should add it to your posts. Messages in transit though the network (internet) can get corrupted/changed, but generally your actual messages would be modified too, not just one of the post settings. Yea... I'm a computer guy/techie/etc lol.

Anyway, I'd have to dig around a little, but there's a slim chance I might have a spare 22r 2wd oil pan, probably from an 86 truck. Should have the pickup tube too if needed. I know I have 4x4 oil pans, but probably wouldn't work too well in 2wd application =).
Can you not see my sig either?
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM

In the post you just sent, there's no sig, most others have it. Could be a difference between posting via phone vs computer too. Anything at all different you did this post vs the last post?

Might be able to figure out a bug for the site owners =). Also the "show sig" check box is at the bottom right corner of the quick reply box, on a skinny screen it lines up pretty close to the reply button.

Last edited by atcfixer; 04-04-2017 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:34 PM

Checking
Old 04-04-2017, 04:34 PM

Check 2
Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 PM

Ahh okay figured it out. I always use my iPhone or iPad. When I enter yotatech it automatically switches me to the "mobile version" and generally I scroll to the bottom and click to "view desktop version" because I like the layout better. But sometimes I don't.

if if I post from mobile version my sig doesn't show. Post from desktop version and it shows.

Good call there atcfixer

Last edited by Shagool22; 04-04-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:21 AM

=) I worked as a workstation tech, these kinds of problems I'd help find with end users. There's always *something* that causes the problem, rather it's program or end user it's hard to say but there's a pattern (computers only do what they are told).

Anyway, I shot a PM off to one of the staff members with a reference to this thread.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:18 PM

Well to shed some light to my series of unfortunate events, I picked up all my parts and gaskets yesterday after work!! Then put in 11 hours today getting her back together. Everything went very smooth. Almost got her ready to fire up. Just a few things to finish in the morning.
Unfortunately haven't been able to find an oil pan yet... so I'll be running the wrong one for now lol.. I've been cleaning parts for the last week and getting all my new parts I couldn't wait any longer I'm too anxious to get this truck back on the road! I can see the light.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:30 PM

Interesting... you have the "old style" valve cover too to match the odd oil pan lol. Old style is 84 and older 22r or 20r. Besides the rounded off shape, I think both styles are direct interchangeable.

Source: http://www.lcengineering.com/LCNewsl...ne/june11.html

Anyway, looks like good progress so far =).
Old 04-09-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by atcfixer
Interesting... you have the "old style" valve cover too to match the odd oil pan lol. Old style is 84 and older 22r or 20r. Besides the rounded off shape, I think both styles are direct interchangeable.

Source: http://www.lcengineering.com/LCNewsl...ne/june11.html

Anyway, looks like good progress so far =).
I know right? When I first popped the hood I was hoping it was a 22r/20 hybrid.

Anyways, got her fired up today. After cranking a few seconds to prime the oil pump I plugged coil back in and it fired up on the first crank!
And it runs absolutely incredible, huge power gain... not a single miss, spit, or spudder. And that was before setting the timing and tuning the carb..

Put about 20 miles on it so far. Readjusted valves and retorqued head bolts.i

And best of all, no leaks!! Yet lol
Old 04-09-2017, 06:51 PM

Sounds great - congrats
Old 04-09-2017, 07:27 PM

FYI on the 20r/22r hybrid, from my understanding, the 22r has to be the old style block to accept the 20r head. Could be wrong, but I think that's what I read. Didn't have a carb'ed engine at the time so didn't really register up top the best when I read it lol.

Anyway, congrats on the solid running 22r =). They have a ton of bottom end grunt, they just don't rev out the fastest. Very good work engine though. My 2wd is something like 3.58 gearing, and it hauled quite a lot ~55mph and got around 20-25mpg for the trip. Normally it ran 25-30mpg with a front caliper hanging up. I put oversized tires on it, so it's like 10% higher geared over factory (from memory, I adjusted miles based on the % speed off from GPS).
Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 PM

Yes they are work horses for sure! I recently moved states (coast of Washington to western Idaho) for work. Money was tight at the time so I decided to rent a 6x12 uhaul and towed it behind the 87 4Runner 22re almost 400 miles! It worked a little hard to get it up to speed but once I hit 50-55 it was smooth sailing the whole way.. I never had to stop to let it cool down and it didn't burn a drop of oil and still pulled 15 mpg. That's with 31inch tires and and 4.30 gears. I was thoroughly impressed. Trailer weighed close to 5k..

was it the smartest thing I ever did? No.. would I do it again, yes but not for that kind of distance lol. She handled great and braking wasn't too bad. I went with the 6x12 cause it came with trailer brakes.