84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

22r coil wiring issues, throttle linkage

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:07 PM
KSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r coil wiring issues, throttle linkage

Hi, guys, new member, but I've been using the forums for awhile. I'm having an issue with my 83/85 toy. I have seriously searched several forums without results. Here goes, my truck had a gm throttle body and homemade harness installed, never did work well, so I pulled it after I blew a head gasket and discovered the block was trashed. I found an 85 motor, installed it, am SO close!! I can't figure the final wiring out. The starter turns the motor, no spark at the coil, I have the electric fuel pump wired to an ign hot wire, I have fuel, the old harness was hacked into near the coil exposing the tan and black wires that used to have a green plug on them, I cannot figure out where they go, I have a complete harness off of another rig to look at, it's not helping, wiring diagrams worthless...no clear pics either. My other issue is that I bought a 32/36 and can't seem to figure out the linkage. It's close, but no cigar. An 83 cable seems to short, an 85 cable too long. and yes, I have adjusted them out. The ferrule slops around in the slot where I know it goes. I'm thinking there's a plastic spacer missing?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to catch some snow wheeling this winter!! Thanks
Old 12-30-2016, 12:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Let us back up here

Just why did you go to an electric fuel pump ??

Since you were using some kind of GM throttle body instead of a Carb no telling where that throttle cable came from

You have to figure out just what year ECU your using and build the engine harness to match that

If you bought the Engine with the ECU and engine harness you look at the schematics for that year.

If you have no idea what your looking at there is no way and wiring diagrams are useless as you state it is back to square one and start over

Maybe take some pictures and we can help get this mess sorted out
Old 12-30-2016, 07:25 AM
KSA

It's a mess Wyoming 9 but I think I'm fairly close. The fuel pump was installed to feed the throttle body at the higher pressures required to run it. The pick up tube was modified in the tank for more volume, so it may have to go eventually, but for now I have fuel at the Weber, I installed a 2-5 lb pressure regulator and gauge in line to restrict flow to the carb. I will take some pics tonight and post. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:30 PM
KSA

Sorry it took so long, my 6.9 lost all but one glow plug, been dealing with that.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:42 PM
KSA

Old 01-02-2017, 04:46 PM
KSA

So the top photo shows the tan and black wires in question Wyoming9, I'm sure they are the roadblock to spark, just don't want to blow my coil up experimenting. The lower photo shows the throttle arrangement I have. Just doesn't feel or look right. Been too long since I had a carb under the hood, don't remember.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:12 PM

Red face

For the throttle cable It comes through that bracket behind your breather .

The bracket you have on the Carb needs to move to the Valve cover .

That should line the cable up to pull correct

Once you look at it it will be a DUH moment we all do things like this that is why another pair of eyes helps

Just what wires are connected yet to the igniter ??

Are there any wires missing .

Are the positive and negative coil wires attached ??
Old 01-07-2017, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The correct way for your Throttle Cable is below. I think the one down on the Intake might be for Cruise Control or something. I am no help for you Coil Problem. I do see you have a cable a little different then mine. Yours might be an 83 cable???

Name:  20170107_090855_zpsfwmd1fyh.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  299.3 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 01-07-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
The lower mount is the transmission cable.

Trans cable assembly
Old 01-07-2017, 01:21 PM
KSA

you guys are great, I appreciate the help, i'll move the throttle mount to the valve cover. the motor was from a 2wd yota, maybe the issue. I am still getting no spark, that photo I posted, shows the tan and black wires, I think they are my keys to spark. The tan wire is 12v hot, the black is neutral, so I'm assuming ground. no idea really.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:16 PM

Red face

Remember in DC circuits there is no neutral that is only in AC circuits

Is there any other electrical circuits not working??

I think those wires were just a 12VDC + and negative for something that has been removed.

Unless you unhooked them.

Like I said is there wires missing from the coil and igniter
Old 01-08-2017, 03:50 AM

I'm going to assume that plug next to the ignitor isn't plugged in the ignitor.

Best I can find that ignitor module only has two plugs, one is the distributor Ne, the other contains power and a tach output, some have the test connector also which is tach signal coil negative post.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:58 AM

Red face

That plug with the black cap is one of the test connectors

In that age there was only two green plugs coming off the coil igniter

Who knows what might have been added or subtracted by the previous owners
Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
That plug with the black cap is one of the test connectors

In that age there was only two green plugs coming off the coil igniter

Who knows what might have been added or subtracted by the previous owners
I don't think I noticed the check connector before. I was looking at the other plug, taped to the harness and plugged into the assembly. That has what I'd say are odd colors for a power and "ground".

Old 01-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by KSA
you guys are great, I appreciate the help, i'll move the throttle mount to the valve cover. the motor was from a 2wd yota, maybe the issue. I am still getting no spark, that photo I posted, shows the tan and black wires, I think they are my keys to spark. The tan wire is 12v hot, the black is neutral, so I'm assuming ground. no idea really.
Key off there is no power on the heavier gauge wire correct? Verify that it is connected to the ignition switch Ig2 pin 7. That'll be the coil supply.

The black line should tie into the tach signal. Verify its connected to either the tach gauge or emissions controller pin #4of13 on the California or pin #11 on federal.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 PM
KSA

I can check that, but I don't know where it would connect too. The coil appears to be wired into the harness correctly. The hot tan wire and the black one were wired to the old TB coil. I am clueless. I think I need some pics of a stock set up under the hood. The tan wire is hot with the ign on only
Old 01-11-2017, 06:29 AM

I can't help with photos, sorry can't even Google really I'm in the boonies and what passes for broadband out here is like using a 1980s era ISDN line... Plus my 4runner is EFI.

The ignition switch, is under the dash attached to the rear of the key cylinder. It'll have a pigtail 6-18" long so you just need to find the plug on the end not take apart the dash to get access. There you can do a continuity test to the mystery wire. If it is the coil power source you'll find it connects to pin 7.

I do not know where the carb emissions computer is located, expect it's in the right-hand kick panel where the TCCS ECU would be.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:20 PM
KSA

I appreciate the advice CO 94. I guess my biggest hurdle is figuring out if my coil is wired properly. It has two stock Toyota green plug and plays, one is capped off with a rubber plug, the other plugs into the harness with a male plug receiver right next to it. I know the capped plug is unused, and I'm sure the plug I have attached into the coil is correct. But, the tan wire goes somewhere.....The rig turns over, I'm sure the ignition is mostly good to go. I will attempt more tomorrow night after work if it's not too cold. Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Here is my 88 Coil. It has not been hacked up. I could not find the tan wire but maybe it will show what you are needing.
Name:  20170126_084555_zps7qyi4459.jpg
Views: 3087
Size:  289.5 KB

A different view
Name:  20170126_084622_zpsbj8jjum7.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  224.1 KB

Another view
Name:  20170126_084653_zps1gz5amd2.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  248.4 KB
Old 01-26-2017, 04:57 PM
KSA

Thanks for the pics Terry, do you know what that black box is to the left of your coil in the first pic? It has a loomed wire running down to either the alternator or over to the right of the coil? If that's an external voltage regulator okay, but it may not be. I don't have anything on my rig like that. My harness is mostly intact, he just cut into a few places for power for that worthless throttle body. Again, thanks for the help. While I'm thinking about it, the wires from my alternator have nothing to do with getting the rig running, just charging right? I know it sounds dumb, I've run without alternators before, just trying to figure this out. I installed an internally regulated alt. that came with the motor I put in and haven't started that wiring yet. I only connected the obvious wires from the alt. to the harness that matched. Thanks again.