Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

what is this "spring damper" in my distributor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is this "spring damper" in my distributor?

howdy all -- decided it was time to do a tune-up on my "new" 77 toyota -- when i look in my idiot manual, i see a description of something called a "spring damper" in the distributor, kind of like a second set of points, but without the points -- well mine is missing, seems to have been snapped off -- the screw and base of it are still there -- i set the new points, and its now running a lot better, but it bothers me that this spring thing is not there -- anyone know what it does? -- and anyone have a recommendation on a solid state ignition to replace these points?

thanks, roky
Old 11-29-2016, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you give us a picture of what you're dealing with? I had a 77 myself and don't remember there being anything behind the points, but thats been years ago.

Couple different options for upgrading to electronic. Pertonix supposedly builds a kit but hard to come by and not sure of the part number. Search around the web for more info, but you can put in a 20r electronic distributor and use a GM HEI Coil, or you can also pretty much swap an entire 20r electronic ignition setup in in. 78-80 were 20r with electronic ignition. I would probably only attempt the latter if you can find the right vehicle in the junkyard, as I'm sure the parts would be big money otherwise. I'm not 100% but believe an early model 22r (81-84) should also work as well.