Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes a truck an SR5?

I saw a guy selling an 82. He said it hand wing windows because it was an
SR5. Mine has wing windows, but I don't think its an SR5
Old 05-24-2008, 08:10 AM

an a sr5 is the most upgraded model in the first generation of pickups/4runners, the bodys are slightley larger, and have more dash features, and most came standard with the 3.0 (which was the biggest size yota engine then), although you could acquire a few with the 22re, but they all had fuel injection. It was like the SUV of the day, even though now its considered very plain.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering the same thing...
Old 05-24-2008, 08:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The SR5 had a gauge package, console, Bucket seats, chrome bumper, Wood grain dash (maybe), and exterior stripes. I think wing windows came on all models, some had them some didn't, I remember lots of different combinations.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stgen4gunner
an a sr5 is the most upgraded model in the first generation of pickups/4runners, the bodys are slightley larger, and have more dash features, and most came standard with the 3.0 (which was the biggest size yota engine then), although you could acquire a few with the 22re, but they all had fuel injection. It was like the SUV of the day, even though now its considered very plain.
Toyota pickups date back to the 70's, so the 1st gen 4runner is NOT the same as the 1st gen truck.....the 84-88 truck is the 4th gen?

SR5 did not make the body larger...where did you hear that nonsense? All 4x4 trucks and 4Runners used the same body panels.

The 3.0 wasn't introduced until 1988, and an SR5 did not have to have it. There are many 4cyl SR5's running around. I had one myself.

As for SR5 options, they ranged and changed throughout the years. There is a table around here somewhere that shows what all they were. Can't seem to find it right this moment. 79-83 SR5's typcially had carpet, wing windows, woodgrain, nice stripe package, upgrade seats (ie bucket instead of bench) SR5 gauges, and a host of other things.

However, early toyotas could be ordered almost any way you wanted them. Nowadays, there are only 3-4 ways to "customize" your Toyota.

To anaswer the OP question, there are any number of things that could make it an SR5, but most common was upgrade gauges, seats, and interior. Fully optioned trucks got power windows, mirrors, Sunroof, power antenna, Altimeter/RO gauge, padded rollbar, and a few other nice things. Not all SR5's were fully loaded, and not all were V6.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:08 AM

I'm pretty sure the bodies were the same. SR5s were just the higher models that came standard with most options. From 85-87 the 4runners and pickups with the SR5 package most came with the 22RE and most 4runners from 88-89 with the SR5 package came with the 3L.

Last edited by eightnine; 05-24-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
SR5 originally stood for "Sport Rally 5 Speed"

They were the upgraded models.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 AM

seriously did you just make all of that up? Sport Rally 5 speed. it's a trim level. the only consistencies of options were tachometer and seat covers(factory aluminum wheels for some models). i also think the 22rte only came as a sr5. all of the other options are pick and choose. the sr5s normally came with decals. in essence the sr5 was the sport package of the 80's and 90's.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:52 PM

Lots of features = SR5

Bucket seats, Tach cluster, 5 speed, A/C, Sunroof, Cruise Control, Stripe/Paint package, Chrome Bezels/Grille/Bumpers/Vents, Nicer interior(door panels, stereo, badges etc.)

Basically its any truck that has any of the above, some have less some have more. I dont think ive ever seen a base model first gen that had none of the options.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts

to the OP: Personally I have not seen an SR-5 1st gen truck with the vent windows.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Island_Yota
Lots of features = SR5

Bucket seats, Tach cluster, 5 speed, A/C, Sunroof, Cruise Control, Stripe/Paint package, Chrome Bezels/Grille/Bumpers/Vents, Nicer interior(door panels, stereo, badges etc.)

Basically its any truck that has any of the above, some have less some have more. I dont think ive ever seen a base model first gen that had none of the options.
Mine had zero options from the factory. Zero. None.

Now it has been given from someone a split bench, 5-sp, and a nice stereo.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:06 AM

Mine was a base model also and had no options, the bumper was added later.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:03 AM

I thought a long bed made it an SR5 too? Cuz this piece of crap was an sr5
Name:  Diagnosispicture002.jpg
Views: 2462
Size:  116.3 KB
Old 05-25-2008, 03:16 AM

Amongst the 1st gen 4Runners that I have seen or own(ed), the vent window might not be there, as I had a turbo without them. My SR5s have: Electric windows and locks, Tach and oil pressure guages, Sunroof, Inclincometer, upgraded seats and console, digital clock, leather shift knobs keyed to the interior color, map lights over the rearvew mirror, vent windows. The DLX we have had were minus ALL the previous features except they did have the vent windows.
The Turbo had velour-flavored headliner, carpeted kick panels, upgraded door panels.

Wood grain stuff didn't appear until 2nd gen vehicles.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Found this on toyotaoffroad.com

The SR5 option is now available on the truck. With its 5-speed manual transmission and powerful engine, the SR5 was intended to appeal to a new type of customer, the sport-truck buyer.

I think it depends on the year of the truck. Each year had a different option package related to the SR5 badge.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:40 PM

the long bed does not make it an sr5, mine is a delux longbed.

my cousin had an 83 sr5 that had wing windows.

Al
Old 05-27-2008, 05:19 AM

ok...this is the pre 84 truck forum, so all this BS about 4 runners does not apply. There were no 4 runners before 84, and each year the SR5 trim got different options for different vehicles. For the SR5 trucks, you got a tachometer, oil and volt gauge, bucket seats, most likely a 5 speed, and some stripes on the exterior. the wheels were probablt upgraded too, but wheels could have been optioned seperately. there were long and short bed SR5s.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

That "larger body" thing one poster is talking about probably refers to the fender flares that were applied to all pre 84 4wd trucks fwiw.
SR5 did in fact stand for Sport Rally 5 it was a trim level designation that was applied to several models in Toyota's line up. In the Celica it was a "gentleman's sports coupe" version one step below the full boogie Supra. You could get a Tercel 4wd Wagon in SR5 trim. Standard features in all SR5s was full instrumentation incl. Tach., bucket seats (in the 89-95 trucks you could get the split bench as an option within the sr5 package but it was very very rare [just the standard 60/40 with the sr5 cloth and a little more padding]), map lights [in some years], up graded interiors/radio packages, leather covered steering wheels/shifters, aluminum or steel/chrome rally wheels [pre-84 models],
Pre 84 trucks did have real wood dashes in the SR5 trim level.

Wing windows were an option available in most trim levels and not generally part of the SR5 package.

Last edited by aviator; 05-27-2008 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yota 81 has it summed up here. OP is asking about an '82, not 84-up model.

in the 70's-early '80s, most 4-cyl foreign vehicles with manual trans came with 4 speed, and 5 speed was marketed like some hi-falootin' option. toyota's optional upgrade package to get the 5-speed was tagged SR5, and almost all toyotas had it available. you'd get the 5speed tranny, and to make it seem like a worthwhile purchase, they upgraded instrumentation and exterior/interior trim too.

later years started to offer more option packages like power pkg w/ windows/locks, and these packages were usually only available on the sr5 equipped models in this country. but sr5 does not necessarily include vent windows. a better sr5 indicator for that year would be fabric seats vs. vinyl. oh and yeah, a 5 speed tranny!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by yota81
ok...this is the pre 84 truck forum, so all this BS about 4 runners does not apply. .
so true

Quick Reply: What makes a truck an SR5?