Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Texas to Colorado Trip Towing my First Gen

Old 04-27-2017, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Texas to Colorado Trip Towing my First Gen

Im planning a trip up to Colorado in September for Houston Texas. 1000 miles one way. I'm planning on taking my 81 pickup, all stock driveline. My question is how would you tow it up there? I have a 3/4ton Duramax Diesel. My two options are 16ft car hauler that I already have but parking at the VRBO house we are staying at is gonna be tight and there may not be room for a trailer and two trucks according to the owner I would have to park one of them off site somewhere. 2nd option is flat towing with a tow bar and pulling the rear driveshaft and unlocking the front hubs. Truck has new tires on it as of march this year. My only concern would be the reliability is the wheel bearings etc. however I don't have a trailer to jack with and find a place to store for a week. Once we get up there we plan on using the yota as our get arround vehicle and hit some trails. I don't like the idea of wheeling the Duramax when it's my way home. If the yota happened to break to where it couldn't be flat towed it would be nice to have a trailer to bring it home on. But there's always uhaul.

What would you do?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
If you flat tow it be sure to pull the rear drive shaft. The rear output bearing doesn't get lived properly when flat towed (This is per Marlin of Marlin Crawler)
also you run the risk of the trans slipping into gear. I had it happen when I was too lazy to pull the driveshaft...destroyed a transmission and dual t/c's

Search this Thread