Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Something different....awd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something different....awd conversion

So I had a 1982 Toyota 2wd sr5 22r t to ruck back in the day. (early 90's) I had it lowered to the bump stops, dual side draft webber carbs, a "rv" style cam from TRD, a header made for a 4x4 but cut and fit for a 2wd, and Jacob's electronics ignition.

It was quick and was able to hang with the mustang 5.0 till about 45mph.

I'm older now and reflecting about "back in the day"

So here is my thought... I want to build one again, but at this point I can afford to do it right. Id like to build something special. I'd like to build a truck that can handle. (I know trucks don't handle that well, but this isn't the perfect situation. I'm reliving my youth at the same time so it's a truck to start with.)

I'm not a purist and it doesn't have to be a 22r. I'd like a realistic 250hp, but I'm pretty sure I can choose the swap there is a bunch of options.

What I am very curious about and haven't found any info is a awd swap for a first Gen truck. I think awd in this body style with 250 to 300lbs of torque would be some serious fun for anyone.

Starting with a 4wd truck and converting to awd is my real question? Anyone done it before? What is a good donor vehicle that has awd in that era that could handle that much power?

Thank you in advance for any information.

​​​​
​​
Old 01-07-2017, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have not seen an AWD done on here but would be interesting to see. Sounds like you are going to have fun re living your youth. Welcome to Yotatech.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:03 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have one question can you do all the fabrication and machine and assembly work in house ??

Then different people have different ideas of just what AWD is.

Some use the term as some sort of lockers front and rear.

If your looking at a True AWD look at your high end Lexus SUV vehicles might be easier to keep it kinda related.

It might be much easier to just install the truck body on a running rolling AWD chassis

Much less Fabrication of the driveline trying to match the transmission and AWD transfercase to a 30 year old engine

You know just what year you have when looking for parts .
Old 01-08-2017, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the best mid life crisis I've ever witnessed! Lol. I have no clue on how to help you with AWD but im sub'd. Cant wait to see where this goes! The first thing that came to mind was if an old Subaru drive train could be swaped, but no idea if its even possible, via Transdapt or the like? Of course anything's possible with enough $.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As said above the best way to go about it would be to drop the body on an awd chassis like a subaru (lot's of aftermarket support to make it handle), or it would be to build a chassis from scratch and it would be all be a question of fabrication. Simpler would be RWD on independent rear suspension and a 1jzgte swap, it would handle good with the proper parts and you would have 276hp stock and can very easily have around 320+ reliable rwhp with minor mods, not as easy as it sounds but doable.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:14 AM

I've done some research and the S10 guys wanting a poor man's syclone or typhoon just switch out the 4wd transfer case to a astrovan awd transfer case and a couple other things on the front end. Which seems like a pretty logical start. I was hoping to be able to do the same here but I can't think of any awd Toyotas in this era.

Yes I have the ability to fab and weld whatever comes up. I am an engineering tech by trade, with a main focus on robotics.

If I have to put a body on a different frame I might scrap the awd project idea. That's not what I'm going for. I realize a different suspension setup would be the best handling, but I'm OK with the limitations of a rear axle setup with a torsion bar front end.

I appreciate you answers so far.

Last edited by Aging mini truck guy; 01-08-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old 01-08-2017, 07:13 PM

AWD in this era? I'm not sure, I know there were 4WD Toyota Tercel wagons and some vans as well, not sure if that would qualify? I know they used different motors than the R series. Some had turbo desiels that may reach your HP needs. One of the old Tercels came with a low range 4.71 gear ratio witch would be cool if you were going for an off road take on it.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked into a Camry all-trac? What about a 4wd tercel? Surely you can find high compression Pistons for those engines and use a Jackson racing supercharger for a Miata on it and then drop it all in a pickup?

Is it ever going to Baja'd? If not you might be happier with a turbo 2.4 setup (tons of info on that available) into an old pickup.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:52 AM

My thoughts would be a RZ, turbo, then use an early 4wd IFS truck and lower it. On the street or even dirt the stock components will easily handle the hp you desire. A early 4wd Tacoma slammed might be an option. You could swap a earlier body onto the IFS rolling chassis of the early years the Tacoma wms would be too wide. Sounds like a neat project. If you use an early setup you want the chain drive t-case, V6 case.

Last edited by R.DesJardin; 01-09-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:53 AM

ah drop in a Subaru engine and trans and regear the rear end to match those of the suby. that's what I would do a lot of aftermarket support for the boxer engines too.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:08 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Maybe something like a Celica 3S-GTE? It's transverse, but AWD. I don't know exactly how much fab work you want to do.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:26 PM

wow, very interested... sub'd for sure