Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Small cap distributor? Or something?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Small cap distributor? Or something?

Ok so the guys in 86-95 truck section don't seem to know what I got here but im trying to figure out what the deal is on this new distributor I ordered.
Vacuum switch facing exhaust side.
so this is an 86 22r, I ordered a new dizzy from discount body parts.com, and apon install the first thing I noticed was that the vacuum switch is facing the wrong way. Not a big deal, as long as it works. Well I get it installed and break out the timing light, get it dialed in at idle, cool everything seem good. Untill i go for a test drive and dont make it out of my driveway. Motor bogs down with throttle. So back to the timing light, still dead on at idle but when I rev the motor instead of advancing it goes retarded like 30°. Heres the other wierd thing with this dizzy, when I go and put my old dizzy back in I try to swap the new cap on the old one and find their different sizes.
OEM cap on left, and new smaller cap on right.
just seems wierd that the new dizzy fit perfectly, obviously the drive gear is the right size, idles fine but doesn't advance as it should. Im curious if this dizzy is for an older model toyota engine? Anyone ever run into this? Discount body parts is no help either, the part number on the dizzy is correct to the one they're selling but obviously they got their facts wrong. Anyone got a clue?
Old 12-25-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I wonder could the new distributor just have been assembled wrong.

While the quality control guy was getting shot in the head for to many of these mistakes

Any instructions telling you how to put the vacuum advance on the correct side so it advances instead of retards ??
Old 12-25-2016, 10:17 PM

No it came with no instructions, but I did think of that and tried every combination possible with the vacuum switch, it seemed to be correct as far as advanced port the outermost and retard inside. But nothing I tried there made a difference once throttle was applied, it did worse with only retard port plugged in and both in or both capped was a failure as well.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:43 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
I did try to identify that, the best I could come up with is it's the available knock off. Every image comes up basically the same, if not exact copies.

Could it be disconnected or binding. I didn't reread the initial issue, sorry, iirc it wasn't changing or it was reversed?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
I did try to identify that, the best I could come up with is it's the available knock off. Every image comes up basically the same, if not exact copies.

Could it be disconnected or binding. I didn't reread the initial issue, sorry, iirc it wasn't changing or it was reversed?
Best I can figure is its a factory defect of some sort, the wrong head unit put on the correct shaft and part number stamped correctly, as crazy as that sounds. I spent close to an hour on the phone yesterday with discount body parts and they were stumped as well, said the part should be an OEM spec replacement, obviously its not so something really weird happened here. To their credit, discount body parts hooked me up with a new A1 cardone distributor basically free of charge, let me keep this Frankenstein, usually you have to ship back a return before they ship a replacement back. They need to work on their website though, when you part search per vehicle make and model this generic distributor is the only one that shows up, have to search "A1 cardone distributor" for that part to show up, which is too bad because I would have ordered this part originally. At $90 its probably the best price for this part your gonna find. Most places ask 140 to 170 for the A1 cardone.