Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Replace Ignition with Toggle & Push-button Start

Old 03-22-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace Ignition with Toggle & Push-button Start

Cause: Obnoxiously STUPID thief.
Effect: Using a screwdriver to start my truck.

SOLUTION: Rather than replace or repair the damaged steering column, I want to re-wire the ignition to a 3-way toggle switch for OFF, ACC and ON, and put in a push button starter.

QUESTION: Which wires go where? How do I properly wire the two switches?

If anyone has done this before, or can provide me with some direction, that would be SWEET. I already checked each connection to determine where/when power is on at each wire but I want to make sure this is done right the first time.

Let me know if more info is needed. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails Replace Ignition with Toggle & Push-button Start-ignition-switch-wires.jpg  
Old 03-22-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Do yourself a favor and fix it the right way

Do you plan to use a pilot light so very obnoxious you will know when it is not in the off position !!!

For sure it gets left on drains the battery .
Old 03-22-2016, 12:44 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I would love to fix it the right way, but the idiot thief ripped apart the column hole that holds the ignition lock, so a "right way" repair now involves taking apart he entire steering column, which I have never attempted. I don't even know if the part that holds the ignition lock IS replaceable. Also, when turning off the motor, you would need to flip the switch, so I don't think being left on will be an issue.

Plus, I like the flair it would add to flip a switch and push to start.

Last edited by ryancobryan; 03-22-2016 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 03-22-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I have 2 cars wired this way. A 26 Ford Roadster, and an Austin Mini. Both work fine. You might not be able to have an accessory position with a toggle switch, they're just not setup that way. You will need a 2 way toggle switch, OFF and ON. You will need a test light to find out what wire does what, and when you do, write that info down along with the color of the wire. One wire will be battery HOT, one wire will be key HOT, and the rest will be accessory or key hot, along with the starter wire. Your picture explains the function of the wires, but double check them, and mark them. Hook the battery HOT to one terminal of the toggle switch, hook the other wires to the other terminal of the toggle switch, except the one to the starter. That wire will go to the starter button. You will need to run a wire from the toggle switch to the other terminal on the starter button so when you flip the Toggle switch everything will become HOT, then you can press the starter button and the truck will start. Flip the Toggle switch to shut everything off. If you hide the Toggle switch, as well as the starter button it will be a theft deterrent also. Just keep them within easy reach of the drivers seat. I did a quick Google search and came up with some results you can look over.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...o+start+my+car

Last edited by 81 4X4; 03-22-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the input. I started with Google, but there is very little that applies to a 83 pickup. I need to know proper wire location or loops and number of connection points to make the switch(es) work right.

I started by checking each wire at 4 key positions (OFF, ACC, ON and START). Results are in the pic. I think I know which is which. Results below.

2 hot wires, which could be a loop of the same circuit. (I am told that I need to disconnect at the wire harness and see which side is power and which is ground).
The GREEN/White wire is the key alarm (easy to see/follow wire to the switch on the side of the ignition lock. No need to connect to switch)
12V at ACC + ON is ACC (can anyone confirm?)
12V at ON and START is ON (Can anyone confirm?)
12V at START is the STARTER

What I don't want to do is start cutting wires and have to trial and error this. I would like to find out how to wire this thing before hand.

The way you are explaining, I would have an ON switch and a START button. Do I use a 2 pin switch? or a 3 pin switch? and what wires go where?

If I wanted to install 3 switches (ACC, ON, START) do I use a 2-pin or 3-pin switches? and how do I properly wire? What goes where?

Any additional feedback is appreciated.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Use a 2 pin switch, on and off. I'm not aware of any toggle switch that will let you have an ACC. position. I explained how to wire everything in my other post. You sure it wouldn't be easier to get a used steering column? I do know the parts are hard to find for these trucks. Would you like me to draw you a wiring diagram? I cold do that, but it won't be until this weekend.
This is what I would do, Find the wire that is hot from the battery, mark it HOT with some tape, find the wire that goes to the starter when you turn the key to start the truck, mark it with some tape. Write what the wires do on the tape, use masking tape. Unhook the battery, cut all the wires off of the ignition switch. Hopefully at this point you have already bought the Toggle switch, and the starter button. Buy heavy duty switches. You will need some pretty thick automotive electrical wire also, get at least the gauge wire that the other wires are. Mount your toggle switch, and your Starter button. You will need wire ends too, at least 7, but buy more. Buy the kind that will fit the thick wire. I use the ones with the round end with the through hole. Hook the Battery HOT wire to one side of the Toggle switch, hook the Starter wire to one side of the Starter button. Run a wire from the Starter button to the side of the Toggle switch that does not have any wire hooked to it. The rest of the wires connect to the side of the Toggle switch that has the wire that goes to the starter button. Make sense? Hook the battery back up, flip the Toggle switch and you will have power to everything, press the starter button and the truck will start. To shut it off, flip the Toggle switch back. If you want an ACC position, you will need to find another way to do, this way will not have an ACC position. Hope this helps, Dean
Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 AM

Hi..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you might not be able to have an accessory position with a toggle switch, they're just not setup that way. You will need a 2 way toggle switch, OFF and ON. You will need a test light to find out what wire does what, and when you do, write that info down along with the color of the wire. One wire will be battery HOT, one wire will be key HOT, and the rest will be accessory or key hot, along with the starter wire. Your picture explains the function of the wires, but double check them, and mark them.

pcb prototype assembly

Last edited by MillPalerm; 03-06-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Search this Thread