Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

De-Smogging an early 22R

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Yes, as long as you get a good seal. On mine, for the time being, I just plugged all the vacuum hoses going to the egr and left it all in place.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow fantastic write up so far

quick question if the carbon canisters only job is to vent the gas tank is it really needed?
when i bought my truck the canister was mounted but there were no hoses attached... so I just pitched it... now I'm wondering if I need to go dumpster diving
Old 03-25-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by seagullplayer
Great post!

I just checked under my hood, I still have an EGR valve inplace.

My question, if I remove the valve and the tube, then make a blocking plate out of something thin, like a pop can, then put everything back together with the blocking shim in place, will this give me the same result as if I removed everything from the truck?

Thanks
Hmmmm... Well, as stated at the beginning of the thread, I can't legally advise you on ways that you can circumvent a local smog check. That being the case, I can tell you that if you are de-smogging for offroad use, and you are too cheap to buy or fab a new plate, this would probably work fine.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by bindergirl
Wow fantastic write up so far

quick question if the carbon canisters only job is to vent the gas tank is it really needed?
when i bought my truck the canister was mounted but there were no hoses attached... so I just pitched it... now I'm wondering if I need to go dumpster diving

That's all it is for.

EDIT: It is probably OK to roll without, you will hear a hiss every time you fuel up. The carbon canister also does some vapor recovery, which can come in handy, especially if you are putting the truck at any severe angles offroad. A lot of people mod the Aisin carb, and add a second charcoal canister, and put an overflow vent on one of the bowls in the carb. If you are at all interested in this mod, let me know and I'll toss up a link to a post explaining this in depth.

Last edited by Pumpkinyota; 03-25-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Misread Post....
Old 04-03-2010, 09:21 AM

Hey guy's I'm new to yotatech and I'm happy to see you guy's have started this thread. Real quick info about emissions. I have a buddy who is from Mexico and we got to talking about Toyota's and he was saying that they do not like anything past 3rd gen yotas. He says they are crap and they don't last as long as the older ones. Anyways he was telling me his grandfather has an 81 4x4 flat bed ranch truck that he bought brand new and still has it to this day with over 400,000 miles! The key to that he said was no emissions. Just thought I would share.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pumpkinyota
That's all it is for.

EDIT: It is probably OK to roll without, you will hear a hiss every time you fuel up. The carbon canister also does some vapor recovery, which can come in handy, especially if you are putting the truck at any severe angles offroad. A lot of people mod the Aisin carb, and add a second charcoal canister, and put an overflow vent on one of the bowls in the carb. If you are at all interested in this mod, let me know and I'll toss up a link to a post explaining this in depth.
I am in the middle of rebuilding my carb and de smogging my 83 now. I would be interested in reading a little more info on this Aisan mod if you have the link.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ztoyota
I am in the middle of rebuilding my carb and de smogging my 83 now. I would be interested in reading a little more info on this Aisan mod if you have the link.
Alright, here is the link. There are all sorts of good-idea mods in this thread.

Pirate thread on Carb Tuning:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249626

Good Luck!

EDIT: Here's another pirate thread on Carb tuning, more specific to this mod:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...highlight=carb

Last edited by Pumpkinyota; 04-07-2010 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM

I too have de somged my engine. It is a 22r. My engine is heavily modified to the point of a 4bbl carb, cam and header. My question is how do you adjust your air conditioner compressor belt? On my engine the smog pump has the adjustment for the ac compressor.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by dngspot
I too have de somged my engine. It is a 22r. My engine is heavily modified to the point of a 4bbl carb, cam and header. My question is how do you adjust your air conditioner compressor belt? On my engine the smog pump has the adjustment for the ac compressor.
Can you throw up a pic of the front of your motor for me? You probably need to get a smaller belt.

Also, why a 4bbl carb? the stock Aisin or a weber puts more than enough gas down that intake for any power requirement that a 22r will ever have, you are probably gas-washing the cylinders. Get ready for a re-ring...
Old 04-14-2010, 04:00 PM

And to all following: sorry for the delay in finishing this how-to, my life has gone CRAZY in the last couple of months. I promise completion to this thread eventually...
Old 04-14-2010, 05:01 PM

I have a wide band air fuel ratio gauge, that would argue with the washing the cylinders. When the secondaries open she breaths fine and burns well. I am in the build process of the truck I drove it enough to make sure she was running clean.
Now it is parked in the garage waiting on air lockers, air system, diff gears, 4 wheel disk brakes, a new cross member with a integral drive line parking brake, a flat bed, new 5 inch lift, cross over steering, dual trans cases, dual 8000 lbs winches, shock hoops, interior, rust repair, paint, custom bumper and rock sliders. Most of the parts are in the back of the truck, I need to get it back on its tires. I have the axles out from under it for welding and the reassembly, and the lockers are back ordered.
I have owned the truck since new, I bought it in Pasadena Ca, but now live in Wichita KS. The winter salt is tough on the old girl and she needs to be patched, painted and undercoated. The engine compartment will be dressed after I install a bigger new/used booster and master cylinder.
By the way I once held a smog license in California. I left auto repair and have been repairing heavy equipment for about 20 years. Diff rebuild, metal fabricating and engine rebuild are part of what I do for a living and are still easy to transfer into the old truck.

This week I am reworking the throttle cable. I was unhappy with the way I had it before. I am also wiring in the electric choke.

DSCF0052-1.jpg?t=1271292710

This is a pic of the only block off plate left on the engine. I built this and others but did not use any when the 4 bbl manifold and header were installed.

DSCF0049-1.jpg?t=1271292923

I am still using the smog pump as a pulley. It is no longer a pump as it failed a few years ago and I gutted it. The bearings were still good so what the heck.

DSCF0051-1.jpg?t=1271293024

She ain't perdy but she scoots along pretty good.

Last edited by dngspot; 04-14-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:49 PM

On my engine the smog pump has the adjustment for the ac compressor.
Alright, so this one made e think a little. My truck has no AC, thus no compressor for me, and no belt, and no problem.

For you, as a fabricator, you might consider building a custom tensioner rig using the front of the smog pump bracket and an extra fan belt tensioner from a pick & pull. I will pop my hood when I get home and see how feasible this is...
Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 AM

I thought Toyota had a idler pulley for that area. I am going to look in that direction.

Last edited by dngspot; 07-11-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 AM

vacuum

Pumpmkin, great post! could you please post up how you ran your vacuum hoses to incorporate the hac please, thanks!

Last edited by eurospec1; 04-21-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was think toyota has a idler pulley for that area. I am going to look in that direction.
I believe the 22RE did not come equipped with a smog pump (89-95 anyway) and that is where i'd go to get a stock idler pulley. But my A/c is broken so it's not high priority right now.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
just saying thanks for the write up. i just did this to my truck and it works great!
Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by eurospec1
Pumpmkin, great post! could you please post up how you ran your vacuum hoses to incorporate the hac please, thanks!
Now I feel mildly jerky, I have gotten all caught up in my secular work, and haven't completed this writeup =(...

I will try and get this up tomorrow for you, sorry for the delay.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by bone collector
just saying thanks for the write up. i just did this to my truck and it works great!

Really glad this was helpful to you! When I was doing it, i couldn't find a good writeup on de-smogging specifically anywhere, and I had to figure it out from basic principles. Fortunately, I was able to dig up info from places like Blue Bass Design and YT, I could not have figured anything out without the wealth of info available from these sites.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Ever getting this wrapped up?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM

i have three aisin carbs, i couldnt get any of them to run right on my 22r, i tried this and i found one that runs "better" but still not quite right.

I did this on my RE also

Thanks for all the info it was appreciated!

if you ever get a chance you should put after pics up of block off plates and vaccum lines!

Quick Reply: De-Smogging an early 22R