Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Clutch chatter after spring lift install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch chatter after spring lift install

Hi folks. I recently installed a Rough Country 3" spring lift kit on my 1st gen and am now experiencing what I am certain is clutch chatter. You know, that shudder that can occur when engaging the clutch if you don't resurface your flywheel when installing a new clutch. Well wondering why I would be experiencing this problem after installing a lift kit. Nothing was done to the clutch. Can anyone tell me if this is somewhat common and should it go away? It might be good to clarify that it was a leaf spring lift, as in all 4 leaf springs were replaced. Any input is appreciated! Thank you so much!!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Never really heard of that happening. Did you also change to larger tires when you put on the lift? A lift of course changes your pinion angle, so you put some more stress on your ujoints, maybe you are experiencing driveline bind which may sort of feel like clutch chatter. I'd start looking at the u-joints, make sure they are greased and in good shape.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Did you put bigger tires on with the lift?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:04 AM

Hi thanks for the input cory and 83. I made no other changes other than replace the springs. Tires were not changed. I was suspect of the driveline angles too but the driveline angles were maintained fairly close to factory with the included shims so I dont think its the u joints. Plus it is classic symptoms of clutch chatter: it chatters during clutch engagement only. I agree though that it seems wierd since the clutch should not be affected simply by a lift.The only thing I can think of is I was already having chatter before the new springs but the old softer springs were dampenning the vibration so I didnt notice?? Hopefully it will just go away like clutch chatter usually does. That would be nice
Old 02-23-2017, 09:05 AM

I will inspect the u joints though after work today