Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

alternator woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:38 PM
KSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternator woes

Hey guys almost done with my rebuild on my 82 and have run into a roadblock. When installing the rebuilt motor (1984 )era, I decided to use the alternator attached to it because it had an internal regulator. My old external had caused problems for years, (replaced three times). So I'm having problems with the wiring from the internal regulator to my 1982 wiring. the new wires are white with blue diamonds, black, red, yellow. Old wires are green, yellow, white with black stripe, and black. With the truck running I have 1.4v out of the blue diamond wire. Nothing from the rest. I can't find this wire combo on any posts or in the schematics out of the chiltons or autozone . I plugged the blue diamond wire into the receiver plug down by the old regulator plug, no change in my cab voltmeter. all other wires are 0.0v wi the rig running. Anyone else have this wire combo? Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Old 05-30-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best advise I can give you is to get a hold of the wiring schematics for both the 82 and 84(ish) and compare. Since you've got an internal regulator now you probably will have to modify the truck wiring. I know the alternator has a "trip" wire which tells the alternator how much voltage the system has, if this is showing 0 (or not connected), likely the alternator may not generate power. Or I suppose the alternator could be bad, too.

If it were me, I'd either stick with the factory 82 alternator/wiring (despite the issues with the external regulator), or go with a GM 1-wire. To upgrade to the internal regulator toyota alternator seems like a lot of work for little benefit. Just my two cents.

Good luck!