Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

82 longbed gastank in an 82 shortbox! Yes it can be done! Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Will a 16 gallon long bed 83 gas tank fit in an 83 short bed?

Can't find any info on anyone doing this swap.
I understand the 16 gallon tank came in the long bed only. I want to swap a 16 gallon tank into a short bed frame. I don't want to have to cut or fabricate.
Anyone know if this can drop and go??
Old 09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Hey Toyo:
This is something I have wanted to do. Won't happen with out a bit of fan work-towards the can you are limited by the horse collar crossmember.
On my truck I am running into an issue with the upper shock mount, when I redid my springs and went to a ubolt flip kit it moved my upper shock mount forward.
The long bed tank is 7" longer than the short bed.
I am going to get a ford tank to mount where the spare used to go and use an electric tranfer pump..

The other issue is the filler neck is in s different position, further back relative to the front mount.
If you willing to modify the horse collar crossmember and move the front mount forward it would work, mIght need to be lowered slightly to clear the cab floor...

Last edited by dropzone; 09-25-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:05 PM

WOW!! Thanks for the info and pictures! That is a considerable difference. It would be interesting to see if anyone has successfully done this. This 13 gallon tank in my 83 is killing me.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

I know what you mean, the extra 3 gallons would be awesome. I know tweaking that cross member would make it work.....
Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I went from a long bed ('82) to a shorty ('83) and it's a noticeable difference especially on long trips. I just carry a five gallon can in the back of the bed....
Old 09-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Fossilized
Staff

so you got me thinking a little more about this thing.
Yes, the ebrake pivot mount is going to need some work, I don't think you can just modify the crossmember:

now my shock mounts have changed since i went with a u bolt flip kit:

on my truck I have 7" of clearance with the differential/axle and the end of the tank:

(yes the pick was inverted, laying on my back with a camera and tape measure was a PITA)

edit again--you know, i had forgotten that the stock shock mount is the same crossmember as the rear tank mount.

so this has me thinking that maybe this could happen if you could modify the rear mount and skid plate to have mounts on the left and ride side of the rear of the tank...you might also need to lower the bump stop on the right side of the truck

or an extreme option, Rory of RADdesigns is doing a left side mounted tank on is 2RZ conversion...on a 22R you would need to redo your exhaust...not as simple, but adds a new option..(not sure how big the taco tank is)
edit-his truck is already a long bed so he has some more clearance to begin with...
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin
Or this option.........................I did a bunch of measuring and mocking up today and I think I'll put the Tacoma tank on left side of truck, build new mounts for it, make hole in the bed for the filler, use the Tacoma fuel lines. Run exhaust down right side and not worry about a crossover pipe clearing everything.
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin
Tacoma fuel tank mount on drivers side-DONE! Next is cut a hole in the bed for fuel filler tube, (small detail) then do the final tank install and run the fuel lines, did a test fit with the Taco lines. Yes I ran them in from the front clear to the tank, sweeeeeet.

Had to notch the cross member a little, I just welded back in the piece I cut out up a couple inches.

Rear tank bracket between frame rails.

this one is good in his application, but I am a fat dude so I like having the gas tank on the original side..

am gonna give this thing some more thought as I would love to have this thing happen and not have to use a 2nd tank...

Last edited by dropzone; 09-26-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Ehh just swap a bronco 33 gallon gas tank in it, lol.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Fossilized
Staff

adding some info for further research/reference/ other options:
from the ford gas tank thread on pirate
Originally Posted by vova
Here's anothers to use:

GEO TRACKER 1996
GALLON: 11
DIMENISON: 27 3/8 x 13 1/2 x 10

1994-1997 Toyota Corolla
13 Gal.
(23 x 37-1/2 x 8 1/2"),

1985-94, FUEL TANK, S10 BLAZER, S15 JIMMY, (W/ FI),
Dimension: 33" x 22" x 8-7/8"
Gallons: 13.2

87-91 Toyota Camry Gas Tank 13.5 Gal
Capacity: 13.5 Gallons/51 Liters
Dimensions: 38 X 23 1/2 X 8 inches

1985-87 Gas Tank 14 Gal GTS Coupe
Capacity: 14 Gallons/52 Liters
Dimensions: 33 1/8 X 21 X 9 1/2 inches

GMC S-15 Jimmy Gas Tank 13.2 Gal 2.5L 2.8L 85-87
US Gallon 13.2
Liter 50.0
Size 33" x 22" x 8 7/8"'
Originally Posted by ErikB
I just spent some time looking at Ford tanks. I think there's some confusion on these... :confused:

The e250 tanks were supposedly 34x23x9", but I couldn't find one like that.

I ended up with a rear tank from a '93 F150. It measures 34.5" x 26.5" x 8". It looks exactly the same as the one Harry put in his truck, but I never actually measured his and I'm not sure he did either. I'm not sure it holds 22 gallons, seems too small.

the ones I found from Ford vans looked like the pictures clutter1 posted and measured 34" x 23" x 11". This one is probably the 22 gallon one (definitely holds more than the one above anyway). Good size, but thicker than I wanted.

The F150 tank is nice and thin and shouldn't hang down much. Its actually a little less than 8" thick at the thick end, and the other end is closer to 7". Unfortunately, putting the thin end towards the rear to minimize dragging also puts the filler on the wrong side. I guess I'll see how it works out...
Hopefully this info will help somebody.

Last edited by dropzone; 09-26-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I got to ask a question here as it's somewhat relevant if using other manufacture's OEM tanks etc. What do you do about the fuel level gauge? You see all these writeups on how to put different tanks in and such, but hardly ever see anyone address the fuel level. Is it because most of these are trail rigs only and they don't care what the level of their fuel is?
Old 09-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Fossilized
Staff

^^xtreme: good question, one I don't have a quick answer to. If I do an extra tank, I will use a transfer pump to the stock tank. But. Toyo's question got me thinking so I went over to trekkerpaul's today and borrowed a long bed tank to play with. Not sure how long it will take since I have other issues and life besides my truck but I think this is feasible.

Took some more pics for comparison:
Filler end)towards axle:

Short bed tank towards cab is angled:

Long bed tank flat towards the cab:

Side profile:

It might take a couple inch sacrifice and lower the tank slightly and notch the horse collar and brace it in such a way you don't lose the function of the e brake pivot...
This project had prompted me to get off my fat butt and break out the welder and scrap steel to practice on:wabbit2:
Old 09-26-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah I have a feeling in the near future my tank is gonna have to come out to fix another part of my frame. It might not go back in the same way it came out. You've seen my last frame issue I think so you know where I am coming from on that one and why I dread having to drop that tank. I don't know how to weld, but stuff like this really makes me want to pick up a cheap stick welder or something and start learning on. Drills, bolts and cut-off wheels can only take you so far. lol.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Fossilized
Staff

I hadn't welded in 25 years, bought a harbor freight flux core 2 years ago for $65 (on sale & a coupon) played with it today. My welds are fugly and it splatters like crazy but I got good penetration and I beat the crap out of some plates and they held. Gonna keep plugging away at it and maybe get a good welder down the road...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:30 PM

Great info guys!!
I am fixin to pull my bed off and fab up some kind of mount to hold a bigger longbed tank. Those pics and links are great!
I will add to this thread with the mod as soon as I get the tank and get the bed pulled off.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
I hadn't welded in 25 years, bought a harbor freight flux core 2 years ago for $65 (on sale & a coupon) played with it today. My welds are fugly and it splatters like crazy but I got good penetration and I beat the crap out of some plates and they held. Gonna keep plugging away at it and maybe get a good welder down the road...
I have the same welder you're talking about. I hear you'll get a lot less spatter if you get some good flux core wire (such as Lincoln) and stop using that crap that comes with the unit.

I haven't tried it yet since a friend just long-term loaned me his Miller mig welder, but if I ever go back to the HF unit I will definitely change out the wire.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by WD_40
I have the same welder you're talking about. I hear you'll get a lot less spatter if you get some good flux core wire (such as Lincoln) and stop using that crap that comes with the unit.

I haven't tried it yet since a friend just long-term loaned me his Miller mig welder, but if I ever go back to the HF unit I will definitely change out the wire.
good to know, I actually bought a spool of decent wire to use when this one ran out.., just used the HF junk since it came with it.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:32 AM

What is a reasonable price to pay for a 16 gallon tank. I have a lead on one but the guy doesn't know what they go for??
Old 09-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Fossilized
Staff

I would send TrekkerPaul a pm and ask him. He has parted out multiple trucks. I think he recently sold a tank for $50-60'ish.
Oh and if the guy tries to charge more because it is a 4x4 tank, from what I can tell they used the same tank in 2wd and 4wd trucks.

Edit: sent Paul a text, he sold a tank for $40 minus the sender and pickup.

Last edited by dropzone; 09-27-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:00 PM

I an about ready to tackle this tank swdp. I bought a new accordion neck for the tank. It is a neck for a boat. I measured and cut the neck to fit. I first mocked it up to see how things will fit. I think this swap might actually work. I will post up some photos later on. If anyone has any thoughts please post them up.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM

I got a longbed tank in excellent condition!
I have just done a bit of measuring and inspection. It looks like the easier way to do this is to stagger the shocks front and back rather than side to side. There is just enough room to slide the bigger tank in. The only issue will be the rubber filler hose. I looks as if it is going to have to make a sharp turn near the frame. If I move the tank a little to the side and weld in a bracket to hold it it might work. The bigger tank measures like it will fit just under the round crossmember. I might have to lower the new tank overall but it looks like I won't be compromising any clearance issues. In addition to moving the shock mounts I can see the e brake lines will need to be rerouted. For anyone considering this swap it looks pretty straight forward. Definitely going to need to weld and cut and curse and bleed
Time to get out the grinder
I'll post up some pics

Last edited by toyospearo; 11-13-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Fossilized
Staff

awesome...take lots of measurements to save me some work

Quick Reply: 82 longbed gastank in an 82 shortbox! Yes it can be done! Pics