Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

81 rough idle when warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81 rough idle when warm

Hey everyone! New here but I was hoping for a little advice. I have an 81 carbureated 22r. Runs great until fully warm then she starts jerking when I let off accelerator. Like it's starving for fuel. I've replaced wires, plugs, cap, fuel filter and plugged egr valve. Still no fix. Please help! This truck is my baby and she's all stock. Thanks in advance
Old 02-22-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Sounds like you have some kind of fuel mixture problem, my guess is once the choke is fully open its allowing the mix to lean out, possibly too much. You can try a few tricks. 1 is to get the motor warm and bring up the rpms a bit and have someone hold a wet rag over the intake. This creates extra vacuum hopefully sucking anything thats blocking anything through. 2 is to just try and tune it set the air screw to 2 1/4 turns or something around there and just try and get a baseline. Worse comes to worse you may have to rebuild it. If everything is stock on the car and you don't feel comfortable ripping the carb apart. They actually sell replacement knock off aisin carbs on eBay for around 120 bucks. They actually work pretty well for what they are and i have one on my truck now.