Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

81 2.4 Pick-up rwd coolant temp sensor

Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
81 2.4 Pick-up rwd coolant temp sensor

okay so this is my first Toyota pick-up I bought it and it is over heating so I wanted to do the the cheapest things fist so I replaced the thermostat (which there wasn't even one in there to begin with) so I wanted to replace the coolant temp sensor before I Change the water pump or the fan clutch but for the life of me I can not find this Damn temp sensor can anyone help me with this please.

Thanx,
Mperman
Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 AM

screws into the intake manifold forward of the carburetor.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mperman333
okay so this is my first Toyota pick-up I bought it and it is over heating so I wanted to do the the cheapest things fist so I replaced the thermostat (which there wasn't even one in there to begin with) so I wanted to replace the coolant temp sensor before I Change the water pump or the fan clutch but for the life of me I can not find this Damn temp sensor can anyone help me with this please.

Thanx,
Mperman
You may want to look into other things first. The t-stat is gone because the P.O. was having an overheating issue. Look at diagnosing a head gasket leak. Or even check to see if coolant is in the oil. The timing chain can eat through the timing cover, into the coolant jacket if the guides have been broken.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:12 PM

Okay so I have replaced the t-stat the temp sensor and the clutch fan. After I replaced the clutch fan it stopped over heating for a few days then bam it overheated with a vengeance kinda weird so so I flushed the radiator with hopes but no change I checked the oil and it looks good not milky or watered down in any way and when I run the truck with out the cap I can see the coolant cycling through so I don't think there are any problems with the water pump I have no clue where to go from here
Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mperman333
Okay so I have replaced the t-stat the temp sensor and the clutch fan. After I replaced the clutch fan it stopped over heating for a few days then bam it overheated with a vengeance kinda weird so so I flushed the radiator with hopes but no change I checked the oil and it looks good not milky or watered down in any way and when I run the truck with out the cap I can see the coolant cycling through so I don't think there are any problems with the water pump I have no clue where to go from here
When you drain the coolant, does the coolant flow easily down thru the radiator core? Look into the radiator at the core passages to see if there is any build up in them. Is the exterior of the radiator (the fins) clear of debris and not all bent up? Is the fan shroud in place? Did you replace the EFI temp sensor, or the guage sending unit sensor?
Old 09-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by martinfan30
When you drain the coolant, does the coolant flow easily down thru the radiator core? Look into the radiator at the core passages to see if there is any build up in them. Is the exterior of the radiator (the fins) clear of debris and not all bent up? Is the fan shroud in place? Did you replace the EFI temp sensor, or the guage sending unit sensor?
Okay so when I drained the coolant everything seemed to flow fine and I believe I replaced the sensor to the gauge
Old 09-04-2010, 06:09 PM

Are you losing any coolant. Just because the water pump is cycling the fluid doesnt mean its not bad. Multiple components inside there. Just my two cents. Check the weep hole make sure theres not any residue.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The sensor that you replaced, were was it located ?, i would also pull the radiator and have it checked out (cleaned), or if it looks original just replace it.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:25 PM

The sensor I replaced was right under thermastat housing and has one wire running to it that if I were to remove the gauge just drops. Is there another sensor I should be looking for? This week on my day off imma replace the radiator and the pump and the hoses cause they all look pretty old if not original parts
Old 04-17-2011, 07:38 PM

losing coolant with no evidence of any leaks

Okay so I replaced the entire cooling system and it was okay for a while still running hot but not over heating so six months later I'm out of coolant okay so I fill it and two days later I'm out of coolant again puzzling cause there are no evidence of a leak, could it be a steam leak and if so where would be a good place to start looking?