Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

4 speed manual to auto tanny swap qeustion

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 speed manual to auto tanny swap qeustion

built from toyota truck, 4 spd, 20R, 42x14.5 super swampers, 4:10 gears.
OK, New to this forum and looking for information on a project I want to do. The vehicle no longer looks like a truck, "at all".but it has a 1978 20R motor out of a 2wd truck. The buggy was built from a 4wd Toyota, guessing around a 1980 It has been a 3 yr project as of this coming May. Here is what I want to do, it has a 4 speed in it now and I would like to put a 2wd automatic in it, is this a posible option? With a divorced t-case behind it. I have not been able to find an automatic transmission for these vehicles, don't know if they even made them. Would it be possible to get an automatic from a newer truck? would the bell housing bolt up to the motor? I am sure there would be plenty of modification needed to be done to make this work, which I don't have a problem with as long as I can bolt one up. I am located in South West Florida. Thank you for any and all input.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, they made 2wd autos, a couple different models of them. The early ones are normal non-electric control so a swap should be no problem. An option is there used to be Ford C4 adapters around to bolt to the 20 & 22r motors.