Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

1st Toyota, Newest Fleet Member!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Toyota, Newest Fleet Member!

Hey Folks

My names Adam. I’ve added a 1982 Toyota Pickup to my collection recently and I am in the process of getting her back on the road as my daily. The truck is in amazing shape. I am actually the second owner. The gentlemen I bought it from, purchased it brand new from the dealer. He used it often with a camper as a family truck but for the last fifteen years it was just used around the farm to pickup brush now and then. The entire truck is generally in good shape. The bed and exhausted are completely rusted through. Luckily the engine was leaking oil from the rear main seal and somewhere on the top end for who knows how long. They just kept putting more oil in it and nicely coating the entire engine bay keeping it rust free. Here are some specs;

1982; No mods all original.
220,000 km
22r
5 spd
Long Box
Brand new rubber
Brand new clutch
New Rotor & Cap
New Plugs
Change all fluids

Everything in this truck checks out and looks exactly like the pictures in the Toyota Factory service manual which is incredibly nice for a change! After I put the new clutch in, dismantled and leaned the carb I finally got it on the road. Idled great, acceleration and braking were constant and straight as an arrow. Gearbox and clutch were perfect, transfer case works smooth too. Ran and drove great in all gears at any speed.

Now the bad. The exhaust is blue and creating terrible oily smoke clouds behind me, its burning a lot of oil. Also after about 20 minutes of driving at about 110 km/hr on the freeway it wont idle, and seems like it was having fuel supply or intake vacuum issues.

What I know. The previous owner’s wife said they had some work done on the top end, heads maybe? And ever since then it has leaked oil from the top or front somewhere. Since I cleaned it up and replaced the rear main seal I haven’t noticed any other leaks, but it must be leaking from somewhere with how much oil was all over the engine bay.

The compression is as follows; Cyl. 1 = 125 psi; Cyl. 2 = 115 psi; Cyl. 3 = 115 psi; Cyl. 4 = 125 psi

So I am wondering how the oil is getting into the cylinders. I have noticed that after spending time going coasting or going downhill in compression and then accelerating afterwards the exhaust seems even more blue then usual. Perhaps it’s seeping in past the piston rings then? Or perhaps the valve guide seats are work and it is dripping in from the top?

At this point it dropped to -10c up here and all work in my front yard stopped. I am likely going to pull the engine and work on it in a heated shop. But im not sure where to start yet. I must get back to reading and researching but I was hoping you guys may be able to point me in the right directions.

Cheers and Thanks in advance!

Oh and here’s some pics, because we all love pics!

85' Mustang GT 5.0 HO 5spd 68,000 orig. miles, lowered and stiffened on BBK's
85' CJ7 133,000 miles, AMC I6, 5spd, on 33x12.5
TOYOTA!
09' F-150

Old 11-17-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
If you're pulling the engine you might as well do the whole thing top to bottom. That compression is, without running and checking the manual, below specs on at least two cylinders. Sounds to me that the original owner just did a quick fix job on the head. Likely it has at very least completely shot valve stem seals, which is common with these older Toyota engines. You may also have a leaking front seal at the oil pump. also very common. I had almost the exact same oil/smoke issues you have except for the low compression. Mine would give a great puff of blue smoke when shifting and in my case it was fixed with new stem seals. How's the oil pressure if it has a gauge?
Old 11-17-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
welcome aboard .. looks like a great project

Old 11-22-2016, 09:35 AM

Nice find! Looks unmolested and plenty of potential
Take your time have fun and do it right.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 AM

Congrats on the purchase. Good news is you're close to the guys that can make you a new fiberglass bed.

Eric
Old 12-30-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ride_gnu
Hey Folks

My names Adam. I’ve added a 1982 Toyota Pickup to my collection recently and I am in the process of getting her back on the road as my daily. The truck is in amazing shape. I am actually the second owner. The gentlemen I bought it from, purchased it brand new from the dealer. He used it often with a camper as a family truck but for the last fifteen years it was just used around the farm to pickup brush now and then. The entire truck is generally in good shape. The bed and exhausted are completely rusted through. Luckily the engine was leaking oil from the rear main seal and somewhere on the top end for who knows how long. They just kept putting more oil in it and nicely coating the entire engine bay keeping it rust free. Here are some specs;

1982; No mods all original.
220,000 km
22r
5 spd
Long Box
Brand new rubber
Brand new clutch
New Rotor & Cap
New Plugs
Change all fluids

Everything in this truck checks out and looks exactly like the pictures in the Toyota Factory service manual which is incredibly nice for a change! After I put the new clutch in, dismantled and leaned the carb I finally got it on the road. Idled great, acceleration and braking were constant and straight as an arrow. Gearbox and clutch were perfect, transfer case works smooth too. Ran and drove great in all gears at any speed.

Now the bad. The exhaust is blue and creating terrible oily smoke clouds behind me, its burning a lot of oil. Also after about 20 minutes of driving at about 110 km/hr on the freeway it wont idle, and seems like it was having fuel supply or intake vacuum issues.

What I know. The previous owner’s wife said they had some work done on the top end, heads maybe? And ever since then it has leaked oil from the top or front somewhere. Since I cleaned it up and replaced the rear main seal I haven’t noticed any other leaks, but it must be leaking from somewhere with how much oil was all over the engine bay.

The compression is as follows; Cyl. 1 = 125 psi; Cyl. 2 = 115 psi; Cyl. 3 = 115 psi; Cyl. 4 = 125 psi

So I am wondering how the oil is getting into the cylinders. I have noticed that after spending time going coasting or going downhill in compression and then accelerating afterwards the exhaust seems even more blue then usual. Perhaps it’s seeping in past the piston rings then? Or perhaps the valve guide seats are work and it is dripping in from the top?

At this point it dropped to -10c up here and all work in my front yard stopped. I am likely going to pull the engine and work on it in a heated shop. But im not sure where to start yet. I must get back to reading and researching but I was hoping you guys may be able to point me in the right directions.

Cheers and Thanks in advance!

Oh and here’s some pics, because we all love pics!

85' Mustang GT 5.0 HO 5spd 68,000 orig. miles, lowered and stiffened on BBK's
85' CJ7 133,000 miles, AMC I6, 5spd, on 33x12.5
TOYOTA!
09' F-150

Your car collection makes you look like a wealthy individual from 1985! Lol. Nice truck though, a new motor and bed and you'll have one sweet little truck that will put that jeep to shame.