Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

what is the best money spending on hand tools?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The majority of my tools are Husky, from Home Depot. They've got a lifetime warranty too. I broke my rachet - using it as a hammer - and they replaced it for me
Old 08-11-2007, 12:20 PM

also the good thing about craftsman tools is you can sometimes find a good deal at a pawn shop and return the tool to sears if it is buggered up.
I have also found that K-mart will run cheaper sales on craftsman tools some times than sears and you still have the sears warranty with them.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:26 PM

i heard home depot will honor other companies warranties and replace them with husky products if you take it to them like craftsman and kobalt, haven't tried it yet but that's what i heard. The only thing that bothers me about craftsman now is that they're getting more and more expensive when they used to be a better deal. I know before anyone says cost of inflation and production and all but if all these other companies out there can produce tools with lifetime warranties that are just as good then why is sears going up in cost so much faster than they are? Then again not all of them are made in the USA
Old 08-11-2007, 11:35 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI: I have a friend that worked at sears and another who is the tool manager. The tools made 10 years ago are good, the insides of your ratchets now are made of get this PLASTIC!

I wouldnt have believed it till I had a look myself, high strength plastic but I already managed to break a few of them.

Again, best value for your money is stanley. Good tools, can be had at walmart on clearance alot (a set of wrenches from 8-15mm for 10 buck??). Only issue is if you break them. Believe it or not what breaks more often than not is a cheap ratchet (gears inside) and the actual sockets can crack but thats rare. I have a few cheap ratchets in each side and a good set, cheap set gets used on the trail or whatever, good set is there for backup.

I carry a large toolbox on the trail with 2 sets of wrenches, 2 sets of ratchets, sockets in every imaginable size (up to 19mm or so), special drivers (star, hex, torx), channel locks, vise grips (3 types), pliers (needle and plain jane), screwdrivers, punches, you name it. It weighs 40lbs, ask YotaFun, he seen it and cannot believe it yet I have every toolsize I need to work on the truck pretty much. All bougt for maybe 200 bucks and I got way more tools than craftsman will sell you for that. Most of it was found on clearance at walmart and is made by stanley.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:43 PM

Primarily Craftsman, I too have a good deal of them from my grandfather (probably circa 1910 - ) I love the old wood handled screwdrivers. I've never really ever been let down. I did by some Gear Wrenches too (impulse buy at Lowes when they were on sale after using a Toyota Master Tech friends) they rock. Snap-on are really nice, but with the exception of some of their thin-wall sockets, I can't see spending the cash. If I were a full time mechanic, I might have a different outlook though.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:46 PM

SnapOn 10mm FLARE wrench is the only one Ive used that DIDNT round off the corners....

I use Craftsman for most of the stuff.

I have a set of GearWrench.
The handles are a bit "thin" and hurt when torque-n on em - which I suppose is to keep you from stripping them.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:27 PM

I use Blackhawk, I also have a Craftsman set but the ratchets are thin and can hurt your hands when you're really puttin the pressure on em. But the Blackhawks are easy to work with and never back down.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant believe the Craftmen are plastic inside now--that really sucks. not to mention when it strips and your are get ripped open from going across that heat shield.

I have some old craftmen also--bought off people, pawn shops..etc.. but if you really want to get the best tools--Snap-on, Mac etc. go to a pawn shop and tell them you are trying to put together a set. Most will make you a deal since most people wont spen the time to go through the sockets....

Just .02--but i was a mechanic and really there isnt any substitute for quality and nothing worse than having your tools break on you.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

It all depends on just how one uses there tools.

Are you making a living or is it just a hobby this can be applied to anything along these lines.

I like my Snap On Tools I also like Matco and Mac also Miller and Hypertherm yes they are expensive but to me well worth it.

Then having had great dealers makes a huge difference.

Yes over the years I have bought cheaper tools most often in a emergency far from home now they pretty much live in the tool box unused.

I pretty much only use Snap On Ratchets because I like How they feel in my hands
Old 08-30-2014, 03:03 PM

Could not agree more. As one who uses these tools every day, whether at work or at home, I've learned the difference, and the price is worth it.
Old 09-07-2014, 02:25 PM

I started twisting wrenches at the age of 15 and for a time it was my occupation. I will never forget the day I was doing a tune up on a VW bug and was changing the points and condenser in the distributor and the open end of my Craftsmen 8mm would not break the nut loose. The jaw on the open end would just spread open and round off the corners. I borrowed my bosses Snap On and the nut gave like nothing was holding it. Learned a valuable lesson that day and never considered the price of Snap On again. They are also thinner and when working in real tight areas they are the best. I'm 67 now and still have my Snap On tools. That my friend is value and still under warranty. Hard to justify the price if your just using them on occasion. I have found that Craftsman, NAPA, and others carry a professional series of hand tools. Check them out, and I believe you will be very happy with the feel and the performance. Best of Luck, Vern
Old 09-07-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a a professional mechanic I have mostly snap on / Mac & Matco. 13 years ago I started off my career with a 300 peice craftsman set. Some of which I still use today. Although I have over 40k in tools & tool boxes from various vendors I'd still say craftsman is a good product for the weekend warrior. The reason I continue to buy high dollar snap on and such is they come to me on a weekly basis and certain products are far superior in quality. As a transmission mechanic I'm really hard on my tools and most of my day I have a air tool in my hand.
On a side note harbor freights Pittsburg 3/8 & 1/2" impact sockets are by far the best bang for buck. 1/2" deep impacts Used daily for 12 years wih no warrantys.

Last edited by 775Toy; 09-07-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Craftsmen tools were ok back in the day .

The only real Down side is they are not warranted for professional use just for hobby use.

If you read the fine print it is in there.

While I do love my Tool Truck tools the down side is when your dealer retires or gets out of the business . The new dealer may decide your business does not warrant his time . This has happened in the past.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:18 PM

My wife bought me a set of craftsmen sockets for Christmas a few years back. I was disappointed to see that some of the finishes on were rusting. They just aren't made like they use to be.