Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Remind me to be careful with tools...

Old 07-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remind me to be careful with tools...

Seems that every time I do something with tools, something goes wrong.

My latest one was this morning. I was rotating the wheels on the 4Runner. Got to the point where I was putting the very last one on. Well, the wrench (stock emergency piece of ลลลล) managed to slip, and I managed to whack myself right in my bushy eyebrow. Got a bump that looked like htere was a marble lodged under it. I felt something dripping down my face, and I panicked and thought it was blood. It was sweat...

Lets hear your stories...
Old 07-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Ive cut my hands up plently of times wrenching. Just somthing you gotta deal with.

Though I have never hit my self in the head with a tire iron....
Old 07-10-2005, 12:33 PM

I was working at the furniture store when this large wood rack we build to hold matt/box springs broken. Well I was the only guy there that had any common sense to repair the thing so I had to climb up around 12 foot up to the top and unload all the box springs. After I moved the box springs, I saw that a broke 2x4 was sticking into a matt so went back down to get a saw. No extention cords so I grab a had saw. This piece of crap was an collectors item, I think Noah built the Ark with this thing. It was rusty and about 3 foot long but it was the only thing I had and my preppy little sweat free boss was bit##ing, so I started to saw.

Frame broke mid-saw, cut through my index finger but to top that off I was so shocked that I cut myselft I snatched the saw back and cut it again in the same damn place. Nice cut to the bone about 2 1/2 inches, I bled like a stuck hog, almost fainted.........good battle scar
Old 07-10-2005, 09:27 PM

I smacked myself in the face with the hilift handle as it slid out from the bumper. Got a nice cut under my eye but no black eye. Its all fun and games until some one gets their eye poked out then its just hilarious.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A guy I worked with had a Snap-On pry bar, one of those big ones. He was prying on the engine block when t!he bar snapped and he knocked himself unconcious for a few minutes after hitting his head on the post lift. Needless to say, Snap-On replaced his pry bar and even gave him an extra one for doing the near impossible!
Myself I was beating on a wheel lug with a hammer to loosen it and the danged hammer head fell off hitting me in the shoulder. I had some nice bruises after that.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:50 PM

Whenever I use razors I cut myself... Usually on my thumb, and it always bleeds like a SOB. I've tried being extremely careful, and all that seems to do is lengthen the amount of time between when I start and when I gash my hand open!

My buddy Rob was drilling holes in this exhaust piping hanger under a car, and the drill bit was shaving off gigantic chunks of metal for some reason (I think he was drilling cheap metal). Anyway, he grabbed the pipe to re-adjust, and when he did, a metal shaving sunk effortlessly into his skin, and he didn't even notice. This chunk was about 1/4 the size of a dime, and for the rest of the day, he didn't say a word. But at the end of the day, he noticed it when he washed his hands, and started trying to extract it, but it's funny shape wouldn't let it dislodge. So I, in an attempt to be clever, grabbed his brand new Matco telescoping magnet-on-a-stick, stuck it to the shard, and it yoinked it right out!!

Rob had just bought this tool (5$), and he looked at me, laughing, and said, "This damn thing just payed for itself!!"
Old 07-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

I was packing my stuff last week and somehow managed to rip the tape cutting metal edge through the middle of my right palm. Cut into it about 1 mm and there was barely any blood.

Weird.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:39 PM

I was working on my CB install which you can see on my cardomain page and I was trimming a piece of plastic with a knife prior to welding it with another piece of plastic when the knife decided it was hungry and flew up my left middle finger. I didn't feel a thing, went back to work then noticed when I bent my hand that my middle finger didn't move, but the other fingers caused the skin to seperate from the cut. I had cut from the knuckle next to the finger nail all the way up the finger all the way to the bone and had severed my tendon. Luckly the tendon had snagged on the upper sheath and did not fly up my arm otherwise they would have had to open up my arm to reatach the tendon. Skip forward more than a year and I still have a sweet looking scar, finger looks deformed, but I can use it just fine. That is my most recent injury. So far to date from when I was 12 to now which is 15 years, I have accumulated 356 stiches. Maybe I need to get rid of all my sharp instruments of destruction?
Old 07-11-2005, 07:00 PM

Was using a razor blade to trime out a latch bolt on a door. Had the hole drilled, grabbed the door and put my trigger finger in the hole to steady the door. Made the first cut into the recess and promptly sent myself to the ER for 11 stitches to put the pad back on my finger tip.

Nice reminder to be careful with tools evertime you grab or feel seomthing.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:16 PM
Banned

cut my finger with a box cutter, have had the stock bottle jack fly off of the upper arm and hit me in the face while working on the suspension, lots of cut up fingers and bruises, some burns from flying chunks of melted plastic cladding. nothing too bad yet, thank God.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:26 PM
Contributing Member

OMG, I could write a book. Two of my favorites,

Working contruction during college. I'm in a crawlspace, using an air hammer to break out the foundation between to original house and an addition. the big piece I've been working on finally is ready to pop free, I drop the hammer to catch it & the weight tips me forward & drives my head into an old square nail. I had to crawl out of there with blood running down my forehead, basically blinding me.

Refinishing a basement bedroom, using one of those fancy hand powered stapler/brad nailers to put up paneling. It was the kind that is backwards from normal ones, you push on the front instead of the back & it's supposed to be more efficient. I could never get it to drive the brads all the way in, and I kept picking it up backwards (used to the old style). I finally decide this brad is going all the way in, get a death grip on it, and punch that brad all the way into my palm. I had picked it up backwards again. Wife almost fainted when she saw it.

This thread raises a good question, would we still like tools so much if they weren't a little dangerous?

Last edited by tulsa_97SR5; 07-11-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:10 PM

When I was 19 and a n00b carpenter I was tearing down an old fence. Got a rusty nail jammed throught the tip of my left middle finger. Could not get it out since it was up against the bone, so went to the hospital with a piece of wood nailed to my finger. I was lucky.

When I worked in a cabinetry shop my thumb had an unfortuante meeting with the table saw blade. I heard it before I felt it. I grabbed my thumb to stop the bleeding, and my friend ran over and said "how bad is it" I answered "I am afraid to look!!" 5 stiches later and all was put back together. I was lucky.

Running my chainsaw I was bucking a tree I fell for firewood. The chain skipped off the bar and slapped my leg. It went right through the double layer of denim (no safety chaps) and ripped my skin open. I was lucky.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:28 PM

WOw.. dam cedar... thats umm yea... some crap...

Hey Rocky... not saying anything... but

Umm for me... had some Clorox splashed in my eye...

Last edited by Skitz; 07-11-2005 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Skitz
WOw.. dam cedar... thats umm yea... some crap...

Hey Rocky... not saying anything... but

Umm for me... had some Clorox splashed in my eye...

LOL!! Yeah, cant say that I have ever Caught Myself ON Fire!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 05:23 AM

TKO by Toyota Bottle Jack

I knocked myself out with the toyota bottle Jack.

I was replacing a CV-Shaft and thought it would be smart to put the jack between the upper and lower control arms on an angle to force the arms apart enough to slip in the cv-shaft (Note to self remove upper balljoint and shock)

Well needless to say the hockey puck size peice of steel on the top of the jack broke off and beamed me in the head right above the eybrow, it knocked me clean out.

the wife found me on the garage floor in a small puddle of blood.

I know have a Harry Potter type scar above my left eye brow.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

my turn:
I was pulling the steering wheel off my 1967 ford f100. my wheel puller broke. being the young and dumb 16 at the time I put my feet on the steel dash, and proceeded to pull with everything I had. The wheel just let loose, no give, just instant release, (grant foam padded gt) and hit me across the bridge of my nose like a baseball bat. My head knocked out the rear window into the bed. the wheel ricocheted off my nose back into the dash. when I came out of my daze about 10 minutes later, my head hurt, my nose was broke, I couldn't see straight for a day, but dammit the wheel was off!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:05 PM

Now that's determination.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FingerMan20

Now that's determination.

LOL Yeah he got the wheel off and thats all that counts!!
Old 07-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

You know those odd occasions when you use so much force you're at risk lossing control over your rectum?
A few years back I tried to use brute force to loosen a bolt from my Hilux.
I started pulling towards my face as hard as I could.
The bolt didn't loosen but the wrench sure enough did. I smacked my face with my own fist (still holding the wrench )
Felt like I ran into a lamppost (happend before also so I know first hand).
Saw stars for a while and the next day my face looked like I had been in a serious fight. Red, blue, some black and twice the size it useally is.

My other neat tricks are:
attract steel splinters with my eyes
attract hot drops of steel with my feet (or shoes)
magnetic attraction between my discgrinder and fingers
puncture bodypieces with screwdrivers
Old 07-31-2005, 09:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lots here too. The dumbest I did was while I was screwing some carpet to a ceiling (yes-soundproofing) and my DeWalt screwgun slipped off the screw and the phillips bit drilled into my left index finger right to the bone. Lotsa fingerguts hanging out on that one. Made it tough to play guitar for awhile after that.

My favorite "funny to watch but had to hurt like a mofo" story was when I took my old Toy pickup to my buddy Tracy for him to weld up the exhaust. So he's laying under the truck with a large welding mit on his left hand, and the arc welding wand in his right. A couple of minutes into the job and I noticed he started writhing around really quickly on the floor, slid out from under the truck, and jumped up in the air. He had the welding mit under his right arm, and was frantically trying to extract his left hand from it. When it finally came out, I heard a piece of metal fly across the room and he started yelling AHHH! A piece of slag went into the glove and fused to his wedding band!! So the entire time he was writhing, jumping and yelling, it was melting the base of his ring finger! It actually cauterized, but there was a band of meat missing where the ring was supposed to go - you could see sections of the bone. I found his ring after a couple of minutes, and it was melted in half, with some Toyota exhaust metal fused with the gold. Ruined. He shook it off and finished up the job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remind me to be careful with tools...