Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Ingenious Solutions To Fix Your Rig

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thread when you don't have a tap. Gasket with copper wire. Fantastic!
[YOUTUBE]_5LWcTVeWR8[/YOUTUBE]
Old 01-07-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Jesus, that guy try's WAY too hard to be funny in his videos. Made it all of 45 seconds before muting this video. If he would just talk like a normal person, or shut up all together, his videos would be many times more watchable.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Done it before too. Many years ago, it was a common thing to do. They even sold the hose and spark plug adapter. I worked in the lumber Industry for many years and everybody in those days had one of those hoses in case of an emergency. And a Handyman Jack would get you out of mud holes if you got stuck out there.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my way up a path so steep, the Road has a few switch backs, turns so tight they require 3 point turns. Half way through one of those hair pin turns, Or 'Just' after the second point in the turn. The truck stalled. And then wouldn't start. With little room, I tried push starting in reverse, but failed the first try... And now, I had no room to roll any farther back. The truck is nearly perpendicular to both, Up and down paths, but about to make the third point, It's a bit closer to facing the Up path.. No cell phone. and not like anyone 'I Know' would be able to get where I was!! Not to mention it would be impossible to pull up in front of me anyways!!

I pulled the Parking Brake, left in gear, and pulled the farm jack from the bed... but... I don't have a Tow rope.. And nothing to anchor to, There are no trees around here, it's All mesquite or chaparral bushes, small cacti and the occasional yucca. Well, I removed the two 3 foot chains that support my Tailgate... And wanting to winch up the hill a few feet... Still nothing close enough to hook on to. But I'm a bit of a Survivalist / Photographer. Which oddly, My Camera came in handy this time!!! I've Braided my own Neckstrap for my camera with small D-Ring Ends... 6 strand - 550 Paracord... Hmmm. That's 3300 Pounds of Capable, Both D-Links are 1200 Lb, but side by side thats 2400 Lb... Yeah.. that Should hold... Actually I braided the strap having JUST this in mind!! It's not much... But gets an extra 2.5 feet of reach!! ... Including the chains and the Farm Jack... Well.. it's Long enough to "Reach" the far side of fairly large, and deeply seated boulder.. ... but still nothing to tie, link or hook to.

Looked in the bed of the truck realized "I have Rebar!!!" And a Hammer! I Drove Two Large 3 foot Rebar ALL the way down into the ground, through the last link of the chain, like massive stakes. I'm sure I drove strait through rock. the two bars making an x only at the very surface, and just on the other side of the deeply seated boulder... Cranked on the jack, getting the chains just to lift the weight of the jack. Got in the truck I released the brake, cranked on the jack once more gainging an inch up the hill, till it was just barely off the clutch.. Released the gear.. back on the jack and Winched up the hill far as possible.. While also getting the vehicle a bit More Strait for the up hill path. Pulled the Brake again... Put her back in gear, placed a few less than fist size rocks behind the each wheel, and a Big one behind front left. Released tension to the Jack, put her in reverse.. unhooked the Jack.. got half in, one foot on the brake, lifted my body hanging on the wheel, and door, hip in the seat, and hanging out the door, I kicked the rock from behind the front wheel. Then rocked her over the few rocks, attempting to roll start again in reverse... .. Again.

Hmmm.. Thinking back on this experience. Makes me think.. .. Anyone ever Put a Motorcycle Clutch Lever on the Stick? ... I mean Just in case... .. Keep the third pedal... Just switch to a Cable Clutch release add a second mount a lever on the Stick.

Oh yeah.. .. . did I mention the near cliff steepness outside the driver side door? As well as behind the truck?? On average Trail itself has got to be a 25% Grade!! Well, In 4 Low, reverse isn't very quick, But even still!! THANK GOD!! I didn't get a full start no way the truck would be right side up if it had. I did however, get just enough juice from that 2 or 3 foot roll. Got the starter to crank and engine running moment later!!

I Got to the top, turned around, reversed up the side of the hill to park... This way I can push start in 1st instead of Reverse. And walked back down just to retrieve my rebar... and that Took another half hour with a hammer to pull those back out!!

-- Modoc Mine, Las Cruces New Mexico... 'Near' the top... .. One Scary Evening!

That night I photographed this:
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregery/, on Flickr

Last edited by Gregery; 04-03-2018 at 02:55 PM.