Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Harbor Freight Welder

Old 06-13-2004, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbor Freight Welder

I have done a search but each thread tells to save up and get the best.
Can’t do that.

My needs are to build some sliders, a rear bumper ,go cart frame and sheet metal.
I do have access to a stick welder but would like to know if anyone out there has purchased the 90 amp wire feed welder from HF?

What are you thoughts on this welder? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44567

Last edited by grams72; 06-13-2004 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
100-amp is going to be OK for the sheet metal and maybe the go-cart frame but it won't penetrate enough for the sliders. If you require a 110-volt welder (like I do), get a 135-amp model. Those are about the biggest I've ever found and there are a few manufacturers (Lincold, Hobart, Sears, etc.). I noticed on the specs of that welder it only handles .030 and .035 wire with no option for adding gas later. I realize it's only $120 but it may be a waste of money if you're looking to do more welding in the future. Sheet metal welds best (at least in my experience) with smaller .024 wire and gas (no flux-core) so this welder may not even be suitable for that.

Last edited by toy283; 06-13-2004 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Rugby10

I've been playing with welding for a month now in class, so take what I say with a grain of salt. My instructor is a really knowledgeable guy and he said to stay away from HF equipment. That said, I bought a HF auto dark helmet against the advice of a few on this board and it has worked really, really, well.

I also noticed .030 and .035 being the only FLUX wire it could handle. That would be severely limiting if, and I say WHEN, you want to weld larger or smaller pieces of stock, as Dave mentioned. You "could" weld everything you mentioned with that welder, but you'll have to work a LOT harder to get it done.

For larger stock you'll have to bevel the edges and lay a root pass followed by filler passes. With FLUX core you will have to scrape, grind, and completely remove the flux deposit every time you lay a bead. This is really, really time consuming.

The amperage will also be a problem. I saw a 12% duty cycle with the amps maxed at 80 (which isn't a whole lot). Translation: That is one minute of welding before it cuts out. The beads you lay when the amps are maxed will have to be real small to get the penetration, as a result you'll have to break out the grinder, and wire brush more often. As always with FLUX core, you have to be really careful about getting the flux deposit out of the weld before any subsequent passes, or you'll have trouble.

My .02 cents:
Save for a Miller, Hobart, or Lincoln that is more versatile. I think you would be better off in the long run.

Last edited by Rugby10; 06-13-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

piece of crap , but let me tell you what i really think...
that said, nothing really left to say that has not already been said 'cept this might be good for soldering
Old 06-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking The old saying goes...

You'll get what you pay for. A cheap welder.

Save your money and buy a real one.

Old 06-13-2004, 04:12 PM

I will take your advice and TRY to save for a real one.

Thanks guys,
Old 06-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Banned

i have one... it works fine... i know i got what i paid for, but its welds were strong enough to hold a wrangler windshield to an explorer cowl @ 90+ MPH on the freeway in everyday use..... also it has welded floorboards of a 1056 Starchief... and has fixed a Hunter alignment rack
Old 06-13-2004, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have that exact one. I am just learning how to weld, so I really dont have anything to compare it to. But it works, for small stuff at least. I wouldnt build anything structural with it.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:53 PM
Rugby10

Originally Posted by jimabena74
but it welds to an explorer cowl @ 90+ MPH on the freeway
You've welded @ 90+ miles an hour???
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM

I bought their dual flux/mig 230v and I think for the money I got what I bought. I'm not too happy with it. I will be investing in a bottle to see if that will cure my crappy welds. If not then I'm out 200 + bucks.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:35 PM

I read about these on several boards. From what I could tell, people that didnt have them or never welded with them advised against it. However, people that did have this welder were for the most part happy with it for light work. Also, my buddy has one and he mentioned it runs a little hot and will shut down. He mounted a computer fan? in the caseing and hasnt had a problem since.

But FWIW, I would use the stick welder just to be sure you penatrate the metal.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 PM

I got one from a buddy for $40, would never have bought it other wise. It worked fine on the sheet metal when I built my bumper. For $40 it's great, but for the $100 they normally sell for I would say save for a good one. If you are planning on getting the HF welder definitely buy quality wire, the difference in weld quality is very noticeable .
Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had mine for approx a year and haven't had any problems with it. It sees occasional light duty usage, usually where weld cosmetics don't matter. I have welded thicker exhaust tubing with it with decent penetration. And plenty of sheet with great results. I hear that it works much better if you run the Lincoln flux core wire in it.

Like what was mentioned above, you could use it for the thicker stuff, but it will require multiple passes to achieve a good bonding weld. This is time consuming...but it doesn't cost you more money.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 PM

Buy a 110 Miller unit. 110 will be fine for what your doing. You want a shielded gas set up, not flux core wire. C-25 gas and good Miller wire and you ll be happy with the results. And for gods sakes dont buy a harbor frieight welder. Coming from someone who welds all day and it is certified.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
You'll get what you pay for. A cheap welder.

Save your money and buy a real one.

x2 but the auto dark helmets r ok!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:36 PM

i actually have the exact one.
got it on sale with a coupon for $90

and it is a super good beginner welder.
Will weld what you need to.

If you are just starting, go for it.
But if you need heavy duty stuff, go for a better unit.
You get what you pay for, BUT you are getting
ALOT of welder for around
$100
Old 03-10-2011, 09:43 PM

look around for a used welder. the welding supply house that services welders got me a lead on a muffler shop selling a miller challenger 170. bought it for 250.00 it needs a new gun setup but i have been using it as is for a while and its very nice. i have almost used a whole roll of wire thru it..the big roll.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My friend likes his 110 from HF.
Surprisingly, it lays down some decent beads.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I would not buy it for me.

But if it is new I must say Harbor Freight is pretty good with giving you new stuff . When it quits just scrap it out. Then get a new one.

If you never welded with a good set up you won`t know the difference .

For thin stuff I like using .023 solid wire.

I know I have not had two nickles to rub together at times so if for $100.00 you get something that lets you weld and does a some what acceptable job.

If you have to for budget reasons go for it. You may as well pick up a extra grinder or two you are going to need them.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

I would say This, you do indead get what you pay for. My welder was $3600 back in 2000, and its amazing. BUt the first welder I ever used, and the one I started my busines swith was FREE because I borrowed it from a Friend. Maybe you cant take it home, but maybe you have a buddy that would show you a few things and let you get a few hours in here and there or a weekend build. Most "Friends" would be glad to help if you add an insentive. like maybe a 12 pack and some pizza, or help doing something for him. You would be suprised how much you can get with horsetrading. If that fails, you can rent a nice welder from a weldshop for a weekend build, but take my advice. Harbor freight is great for two things, Cheap disposable tools, and tools that you will rarely use so the price is right. A welder from HF.... id stay away from that. Thanks

Originally Posted by grams72
I have done a search but each thread tells to save up and get the best.
Can’t do that.

My needs are to build some sliders, a rear bumper ,go cart frame and sheet metal.
I do have access to a stick welder but would like to know if anyone out there has purchased the 90 amp wire feed welder from HF?

What are you thoughts on this welder? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=44567

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Welder