Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

Can someone recommend a spring compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's a picture of the Snap-on (Blue Point) one I have. I've confirmed that the spring compressor can be used with an impact wrench. Part #YA629
Attached Thumbnails Can someone recommend a spring compressor?-img_11482.jpg  

Last edited by bmwpower; 06-28-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bmwpower
Here's a picture of the Snap-on (Blue Point) one I have. I've confirmed that the spring compressor can be used with an impact wrench. Part #YA629

Did you need to use the Anti-Flex hooks?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bluto
Did you need to use the Anti-Flex hooks?
They're not really anti-flex hooks (like in one of the links above), but safety hooks to help the spring from moving too much. I probably didn't need them, but I didn't want to take a chance.

I'll get a shot of how its supposed to go together tonight.

Last edited by bmwpower; 06-29-2005 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bmwpower
They're not really anti-flex hooks (like in one of the links above).
Good to hear. The ebay ones are
Old 06-29-2005, 04:52 AM
Contributing Member

The compressor I used looks like the one that you display, bmwpower. The exception is that yours appears to have hardened bolts. Question for you: On the end that has the double-hook (as apposed to the single hook end), are there two nuts; one on the top and one on the bottom of this piece?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by iBilinTuc
The compressor I used looks like the one that you display, bmwpower. The exception is that yours appears to have hardened bolts. Question for you: On the end that has the double-hook (as apposed to the single hook end), are there two nuts; one on the top and one on the bottom of this piece?
You are correct... there are two nuts.

The bolts appear to be larger diameter than others I've seen, including the Craftsman (which looks like it's bowing under pressure).
Old 06-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member

#2 is a hunk of junk! They were good for 1 use...barely...but they did get it done. after some creative maneuvering, I got it to work, but I wouldn't trust it again. There are writeups on how to change your springs without even needing one if you jack your frame and opposite side of your rear axle. I used the spring compressor on one side and the jacking method on the other. The jack method was a little quicker actually.

Originally Posted by rocket
I need a compressor ASAP so rather than start a new thread im gonna semi-hijack.

iBilinTuc, heres a bad boy http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting
its more than id pay.
maybe this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=63700

Does the Harbor Freight compressor your speaking of look anything like these...

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35625

2. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35625

3. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=35625

4. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...526055541&rd=1

For those of you that know....are any of the ones i listed (1-4) junk or worth getting for ocassional jobs?
Which one is best? I need to buy/bid tonight.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Corolla spring pop out of a borrowed spring compressor (from Pep Boys). Skeered the fecal matter right out of me. Next time I'll just take it to Pep Boys and pay the $15 to have them install the springs on the struts.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
...Plus they will zip the nuts on with an impact so you won't need to fight with the shock turning as well...
I just read in my 4th gen repair manual never to use impact wrench on shocks as they get damaged.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:09 PM

Check this V-hinged coil compressor ! Looks neat and easy to use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43753
Old 07-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Banned

get the craftsman one ... i used it on 6 different installations, and it remained sturdy and strong as ever.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Contributing Member

I remembered, George "Skyrat" his craftman spring compressor litteraly snapped. It went flyin!. I hope he got a replacement cuz he's the guy who helped me installed bilsteins on my 3rd gen. = )
Old 07-07-2005, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

I know many of you recommend carrying the struts into a pepboys or the like, but isn’t that contrary to the reason we do this stuff ourselves? I know it is for me. I don’t have confidence in these type places to do anything other than dump my waste oil into a vat. And even at that, I’ve had them loose the cap to my container.

Come on folks - we do this stuff ourselves for good reason. The right tools make it possible and many these tools pay for themselves easily. Also, there is something to be said for confidence gained knowing the job was done right.

And the knowledge available on this site makes it all the more easier. I thank all that contribute!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

I know many of you recommend carrying the struts into a pepboys or the like, but isn’t that contrary to the reason we do this stuff ourselves? I know it is for me. I don’t have confidence in these type places to do anything other than dump my waste oil into a vat. And even at that, I’ve had them loose the cap to my container.

Come on folks - we do this stuff ourselves for good reason. The right tools make it possible and many these tools pay for themselves easily. Also, there is something to be said for confidence gained knowing the job was done right.

And the knowledge available on this site makes it all the more easier. I thank all that contribute!

I agree that is why I have an $800 spring compresor.
If only you were closer....Damn thing doesn't get used enough, but when I need it I am glad it is there.

Having pep boys or the like swap struts is OK b/c of how scary the clamp on compressors can be. Hell you are still taking them out and re-installing.
I understand your point, but I do know a guy that lost a front tooth doing springs without a wallmount---BE CAREFUL
Old 07-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The words of someone who doesn't know what I meant when I wrote about the Corolla spring "popped out" of a spring compressor. It exploded out, slammed against the wall, knocked a dent in it, bounced and dinged the Corolla and rolled around a little more. My wife came running from the house. Scared her too. Pep Boys or some mechanic with a mounted spring compressor could have done it safely for a few bucks per strut.

As for doing your own work...When was the last time you mounted and balanced a tire? Bored and honed your cylinders, line bored your mains, ground a crank, ground and lapped valves, set your own ring and pinion, or did your own paintjob.

Do what is safe, what you have tools for, and what you have the skills to do. It always irks me to spend money paying someone else to do a job I could do. But there ain't anything wrong with paying someone to do something better or safer than you could, or something you don't have the time to do right.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Banned

Yeah, we could also grow our own food, build our own houses, and hey, build our own vehicles from scratch ... or maybe even a spaceship! Oh, and don't forget ... with the right tools available to us, we should probably be doing our own surgeries as well!

That doesn't make it the smart thing to do, and it doesn't make it the safest thing to do either. Some people cannot afford the tools that would make these jobs safe enough to do themselves, some cannot afford the tools that would make the jobs fast enough. Some aren't confident enough and don't want to take the chance of destroying something.

The point is ... you should not come in here criticizing people for suggesting that they get a shop to compress the coils. Sometimes that is the best option for people, and is almost always the safest.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Do what is safe, what you have tools for...
Is there a safe and affordable spring compressor?

The Harbor Freight stuff is junk.
I have seen good and bad post for the Craftsman.
You had a bad experience with a borrowed compressor from Pep Boys. (bad design?)
Not many people have used the Snap-on. It looks like the best so far.

Before I take my $1400 struts (X-REAS) to a shop and risk having them damaged or installed wrong, I'd like to find out if I can do it myself.

Last edited by Bluto; 07-07-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Banned

if you do a search you will see far more positive feedback on the craftsman compressors than just what is in this post.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

I know many of you recommend carrying the struts into a pepboys or the like, but isn’t that contrary to the reason we do this stuff ourselves?
Reading through this thread again, there were only a couple guys that recommended taking struts/springs to a shop...well if somebody questions their safety and inexperience, then thats a good idea IMO.

I don’t have confidence in these type of places...
but not everyone has confidence in compressing a few thousand pounds with an unfamiliar tool.

Come on folks - we do this stuff ourselves for good reason.
and within reason.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bluto
Any other opinions? Updates? I need to get a set soon. I'm leaning towards the Snap-on...