Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

MQT Auto Parts Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MQT Auto Parts Short Ram Intake

I recently purchased a MQT Auto Parts cold air intake kit off of ebay for my 3VZ-E V6 for the small sum of $38 with free shipping. Yes, you read correctly! Before you hop on ebay to find on, I suggest you continue reading. Before purchasing, I went on their website and looked to see what the MSRP was for one. It was $40, so I got a $2 discount. Yippie. When it arrived at my house, I opened it up to make sure everything was in there. It was only a few minutes later when I realized that it only came with two vacuum hoses, instead of three, and the tubes only had fittings for two hoses, instead of three. So I put that issue on the side for a while. I started to put the tubes together in every combination I could think of and in every way, they were too long. I had to cut both tubes to make everything fit. It would have helped if I had directions. xD The tubes were actually surprising to me because they were aluminum, instead of plastic, like those in Spectre kits. So once I had those in the correct place, I decided to go back to the vacuum hose problem. What I decided to do was T off the smaller diameter vacuum hose and the valve cover breather hole and put an adapter on the larger diameter vacuum hose. I'm just glad I had all the parts to do so because I didn't want to have to ride the bus to school the next day. But really, I haven't noticed any real difference in hp or mpg. The only thing I've noticed is the noise. It sounds good! xD If you had to ask my opinion, I'd say that MQT makes universal kits, but markets them as kits made specifically for certain vehicles. Also, if anyone is in the market for a cold air intake for their truck, they should get a better quality one. If anyone wants to see what it looks like, go to my photo album.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
soooo you bought an intake off ebay for around 40 bucks and youre disappointed? most intakes from a reputable company are in the hundreds. and while you were googling to see how much of a sweet discount you got did you happen to look at reviews on other forums? it would have saved you a lot of time.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 PM

true story, I just found an airaid jr intake on my 97 runner on sale for 163 so i jumped on it. What a buy! 20 minute install (with no cutting necessary) i saw noticeable gains in throttle response as well as a much tuffer sound. a couple days in i've yet to notice gains in mpg, but i'll know by the end of the week, haven't gotten much of a chance to test hp either. overall i'm happy with the purchase
Old 07-12-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I'm not disappointed. My wording probably confused you.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
You shouldn't have done it this way.

You should never alter a closed PCV system, first off. It's a carefully designed system with many functions, all of them good.

What you've done there is messed with the engineering of a complex system to a degree that will definitely cause it to not function correctly at all times. The line that you connected at the T is the inlet for the PS IACV(Power Steering Idle Air Control Valve). So now when the valve opens, instead of just filtered air, it will also be drawing by-pass gasses from the PCV breather hose, potentially.

A better idea would have been to put the T in the other line(NOT the PCV breather), or to put a filter/breather on the PS IACV intake line instead. Or temporarily capped that line off. Until you could find a better way to route that line to the air intake atleast. Or just cap it for good. No big deal either way really.

PS, The typical ISR mod has a less air flow resisting curvature than that. That thing looks almost like the stock air intake hose, except metal. Meaning you could probably put that air filter on a stock air intake and get similar results.

Last edited by MudHippy; 07-12-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:22 AM

I recently bought the same CAI and was wanting to know how to cap the one vacuum line off