Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Marlin Crawler Shifter Seat and Socket

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: I have a 1986 22r 4x4 Truck. Do I need 2 white seats?

Thanks

Last edited by Truckstarr; 04-13-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:55 PM

got mine installed yesterday!! feels like a new tranny. i forgot to order stickers though. guess it will be on the next order, maybe the rear bumper!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:28 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
irab88,

Wow! That is pretty nasty!! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Truckstarr,

The white seat is only for the transmission, so you just need 1. For your transfer case, you'll need 1 blue seat. Please see the Style/Color table shown on our seat page here http://www.marlincrawler.com/seat

gambitace71, MWyatt,

Thanks guys for the positive reviews!

BigMike
Old 04-17-2012, 07:56 PM

Just did the install on mine, I found it be reasonably easy and I have very little mechanical experience. Pulling the shifter was the most difficult part, but once I tried the two screwdriver method it actually just popped right out. Getting the old socket off was kind of a pain, FYI it was in pretty good condition anyways.

My old shifter seat... the plastic part of it was still in there in one piece but all the rubber had busted up in to very small chunks. I hit the whole area with a small crevice tip of a vacuum cleaner and then wiped it all clean with a shop rag.

I barely greased the shifter at all before I put it back in, this would be my only concern (whether or not I used enough). I thought my shifter seemed pretty solid before but there is definitely an improvement when it's going in and out of gear, also less vibration in the stick when I'm in gear.

I hadn't bothered buying a seat for my transfer case as I (perhaps wrongly) assumed it hadn't seen nearly as much wear and tear as my transmission. Would a new socket be necessary for the t-case as well as a seat when I do end up doing it?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:19 AM

Thanks for the informative reply awareness,

The socket can sometimes be a pain to remove. Twist/Prying it with enough force and they pop right off.

As for grease, don't be alarmed if you didn't use enough. Over time gear oil will make its way to the pivot and will lube it up. I suppose you could even install one dry without adverse results, however to protect the longevity and ensure proper working condition straight away, we urge everyone to grease em.

As for the t/case, your assumptions are correct. The t/case lever is used far less than the transmission. We offer it as more of a compliment: Why have a high performing transmission lever and settle for a sloppy t/case lever? There still remains the fact the t/case lever's seat is 10+ years old and gear oil has been slowly attacking it, so a shifting improvement will always be experienced when swapping out the stock piece with our Heavy Duty one. The choice is yours!

BigMike
Old 11-16-2012, 01:25 PM

Thumbs up - my truck always felt like it was in 1st gear until I accelerated from a stop and the grinding would begin. No more! Easy to install; make sure you get the old one out fully, as OEM is two pieces.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 PM

Hey guys,

Thought I'd share this picture of our H.D. Seat install process from our Short Throw Shifter Kit Installer: